Bioslock.bin

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by FreeStyler, Apr 23, 2009.

1. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #1 FreeStyler, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    Hi guys, with help of andy2112 I re-created a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 OEM disc for FUJITSU-SIEMENS servers
    andy2112 compared a real OEM disc with the trial version microsoft (still) offers on their website

1 file i found in the files that did not match made me wonder, what is it? what does it do? and does it work?

the file is called BIOSLOCK.BIN, it looks like it is supposed to find bios SLP matches and in the case none found it should refuse to install on none FUJITSU-SIEMENS servers, I've installed this re-created version on various sources as Virtual PC and VirualBox but this SLP check never seems to kick in, it installs without complaining.

here is the file: View attachment BIOSLOCK_FSC.7z

Can anyone here explain me, what is this file for and does it actually do something?

2. neelix

neelix MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2009
    This may be the answer to your question:

"System Locked Preinstallation:
    Many OEM copies installed by the major manufacturers (Dell, HP, Packard Bell, etc.) use a system called System Locked Pre-Installation (SLP) that doesn't match any hardware on start-up. It looks for a special signature in the BIOS setup program instead. If the computer's installation Windows XP has a file called oembios.bin, then it has SLP-activated OEM copy.

If a BIOS-locked copy of Windows XP is installed on a motherboard and the BIOS lock fails, the system will go through the normal Product Activation process at startup. However, note well that from March 1, 2005, the Product Key supplied on a label by the computer manufacturer, and used for the initial installation, won't be accepted for activation. A new copy of Windows XP, with a licence allowing installation on a different computer, will be needed. This means that any replacement motherboard, or upgrade to its BIOS, must be supplied by the original manufacturer in order to ensure that the BIOS lock is put into effect.

BIOS Locked Installation:
    In the other type of OEM licence, Windows XP is pre-installed by a major computer manufacturer, such as Dell. In this case, instead of activation, the system is locked to the make and version of the BIOS on the motherboard. Every time the system is booted, Windows checks to make sure that the BIOS is the same. As long as that is the case, the rest of the hardware components can be changed. However, if the motherboard is replaced, it must be with one that has been supplied by the original PC manufacturer."

From what I read from that, automatic activation geared to a particular motherboard, swap the motherboard and activation fails?

Neelix

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yep, i know the methods about OEM pre-activation... but this file is something else.

this file seems to look for valid SLP string before you can install it, as far as i can see it should only install on FUJITSU-SIEMENS systems, here's a except out of bioslock.bin

4. WickedNick

WickedNick MDL Junior Member

Sep 25, 2008
    FreeStyler,

the normal boot process from the CD is:
    1. the boot loader of the CD executes the BOOTFIX.BIN
    2. BOOTFIX.BIN prints "Press any key to boot from CD..." message and waits several seconds for the key press. After that it returns back.
    3. the bootloader analyzes the BOOTFIX.BIN return parameters (time out or key pressed) and executes SETUPLDR.BIN if key pressed or just bail out if timed out.

I guess that Fujitsu have just made their own boot loader which executes BIOSLOCK.BIN instead of BOOTFIX.BIN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #6 FreeStyler, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Jep, whats causing this to pop?...as it won't show this message to me when i try to install on VirtualBox. (I noticed Virtual PC wouild pass as the SHA hash in VirtualPC bios is included in this bioslock.bin as well)

Is this loaded by a custom bootloader?

8. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #9 offon7544, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Any chance to extract this "special" bootsector? Like to re-create and inspect this behaviour a little further.

offon7544, you own a legit Fujitsu-Siemens system? What do you have installed on it?
    Server 2003, XP, Vista or something else?

10. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    No i don't have this CD, i emulate all the process, and delete all my project after, andy2112 can perhaps upload his bootsector file...

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  12. andy2112

andy2112 MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2008
    FreeStyler
    I have compared two bootsectors (W2K3SS_SP2_EN and CRMSEVL_EN) - they do not differ.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What exact did you compare? the actual bootsector extracted with bbie or the bootsector as on disc?

14. andy2112

andy2112 MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2008
    Bootsector extracted with bbie from W2K3SS_SP2_EN and bootsector extracted with bbie from CRMSEVL_EN. fc /b bs1.bin bs2.bin

15. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #16 FreeStyler, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    (OP)
    Weird, what the hell is bioslock then? and how is it used? (if it is used at all)

The emulated bootloader as shown in the screenshots above performs the check, but i can not see how else this file is being called as the rest of my files are 100% identical with yours from W2K3SS_SP2_EN as we compared the file md5 hashes from both OEM versus Eval discs.

andy2112, Do you have VirtualBox installed? Does it show the same above displayed error?

What is going on here? anyone else has a suggestion?

16. WickedNick

WickedNick MDL Junior Member

Sep 25, 2008
    andy2112,

could you, please, compare BOOTFIX.BIN of original CD and Fujitsu CD?
    As an alternative, do you have a possibility to upload whole ISO image of the CD?

17. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #18 FreeStyler, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  18. tom4.1

tom4.1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    #20 tom4.1, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Mybe another way with the right approach, not the best way!

:) I may be going a bit off topic but here is how I made such an OEM without the BIOSLOCK.BIN problem but also resulted in a system without R2 (as described) and quite a bit of fringing around:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/4693?page=2 My last post explains!