BitComet Question

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jetjock, Feb 21, 2015.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Does anyone know why, that as soon as I open BitComet, Malwarebytes starts popping up with blocked, malicious Websites? If all these sites are out there trying to get into my computer, why do they only start when BitComet opens? Today, I had about ten sites in Africa, Ukraine, & Russia still getting blocked over an hour after I totally shut down BitComet. Not just closed it; shut it down completely.

In all the years I have been using BC, I may have downloaded one or two infected files using torrents. Today, the file I downloaded checked clean with Avast and MWB, so I don't believe a virus or malware is the answer. Besides, the pop ups start even before I start downloading a file and continue as long as BC is open. Any ideas?

jetjock :plane:

P.S. I just got another blocked site!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Because BitComet sucks :p

3. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Some people do it the safe way and use proper downloading clients and others don't even us an AV at all or they ignore
    Malwarebytes.So It's your decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #5 jetjock, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    (OP)
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you implying that BitComet is not a proper downloading tool. If so, what are you recommending?

I still would still like someone to explain just what it is about a torrent downloader(BitComet) that suddenly starts attracting all these probes from bogus Websites, just by being opened. I don't see any of these probes until BC is opened, and they often continue quite awhile after it is closed.

6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Try uTorent and see if the problem is still there. If it is then there is something wrong on your end. I use uTorent and have never seen this problem, but I also don't have Malwarebytes running.

7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #7 jetjock, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    (OP)
    Good call. I had already installed µTorrent and tested it out when I got back here. So far, no Web intrusions.

(Edited insert). I've left µTorrent running for about a half an hour now and have two blocked attempts at access: one from Ukraine and one from Ethiopia. These are almost identical i.p. addresses to the ones I had yesterday, just not nearly as many.

Since you use µTorrent, would you mind answering a question for me about it's use?

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    It happens with every torrent client, doesn't matter which bit torrent client you use. It's not the file(s) you are downloading it is flagging but rather some of the peers or clients it is trying to connect to that malwarebytes is blocking.

You will find you will get the same results even with Utorrent.

9. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Use a private tracker and disable DHT.

10. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Would you care to elaborate?

11. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Less likely to get rogues in the swarm.