Bitlocker unlock after reinstall HELP NEEDED. THX.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Evgeniy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hello,

i need some help regarding Bitlocker..... dont have the drive on me but i know some details.

1. We have a locked D: partition and on c: we have new instalation of w7ult.
    2. Drive failed to unlock before reinstall with message run "chkdsk /r" and failed to unlock after that.
    3. Drive key is backed up before reinstall and after atempt to unlock AND COPYED TO DAMAGED/ENCRYPTED PARTITION.
    4. Also i think drive might be slightly damaged S.M.A.R.T. reports "Caution" over Crystal Disk Info.

Questions:

1. How to unlock drive?
    2. If i cant get the numeric key from txt file can i generate that key from filename??? (dont know if i can open key file cause i dont have drive on me)
    3. Is there any other way to get files back?

Files are pictures and personal files from my girlfriend and are very important to her..... (Thats what happens when she goes to reinstall win by herself)

THX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It should unlock just fine, no matter where it is connected, as long as you have password.
    If it does not then most likely it is damaged, and you might never get the data back from it

sebus

3. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    What password are you talking about the one from key file (numeric) or from User account(that one i have).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...