BitLocker vs Veracrypt

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by windows.seven, Feb 9, 2019.

1. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I have purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Pro and 2 Tb HDD. Am going to partition into 2 drives of 200Gb (C) and balance as D for data as soon as I receive the laptop.
    Next I want to encrypt the disks so that in case laptop is stolen my data cannot be accessed at all. Presently I am using VeraCrypt containers for specific data but I want to protect all of it with the new laptop.
    I am planning to us either BitLocker or VeraCrypt. Inclined to use BL as it is built in. I have some queries
    1) Which is better at encryption or are both similar?
    2) I do not use Microsoft account at all. I use local account only. Does that affect BL in any way?
    3) What happens if I hibernate or sleep the PC? If laptop is stolen and someone pulls the HDD is it decrypted or encrypted?
    4) I assume that if I just lock the screen and the HDD is removed the data is decrypted.

Looking forward to receiving valuable suggestions.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Both are pretty much as good as nobody would ever get to your data, which it more then good enough.
    It does not make a tiny bit to BL what account you are using (just that your recovery key will not be auto saved to your account, but you will need to look after yourself)
    If you remove HD while machine is ON (locked screen), it instantly goes to OUCH state (as will do the whole machine) - have you ever tried to remove underlying store from running physical machine or VM, if not then believe me, it does not take kind to it)
    So nothing to worry there, especially that the whole point (at least of BL) is that if inserted to different hardware it requires recovery key/password (it depends if you encrypt with TPM or not) to be unlocked

3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    Actually neither one will really do any good. Microsoft will still have full access to your files. If you have read their privacy policy, then you will know just how little they respect your privacy.

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    MS is not interested in your bitlocker encrypted files & if your files are attractive enough to warrant attention of MS then you should not be using windows(or internet for that matter) in the first place.

5. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks. I did not understand much about TPM. Say I just use default BL options and encrypt the disk with a long password which only I would know, is that good enough? I don't have any secret data but just need to be safe in case of theft. I would be taking daily backups of the data in any case. In case the laptop fails and I remove the HDD and connect to another computer having BL, can I decrypt it with just my password?

I don't have any secret information, just personal files which i want to protect in case of theft.