BITS Not Working In Win 7 Cannot Start Service Not Found

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Uzahma, Mar 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Uzahma

Uzahma MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2007
    #1 Uzahma, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #2 Rosco, Mar 11, 2010
    The problem with some Windows help is that it is the last thing to be updated - who can remember a new Windows OS that had up to date help ?? 7 certainly didn't and regularly referred to the way Vista worked even though the system had been re-written and some of the constructs didn't even exist anymore.

My services in my Ultimate X64 system shows BITSand Windows Error Reporting Service startup type as Manual - I've never tinkered with it - and maybe the help page stills refers to Vista and maybe they changed it from Auto to Manual in 7 because I used to see literally thousands of posts about errors from Windows update with Vista.

Windows Event Log service is Automatic.

You can try changing it to manual which I assume Windows Update calls when it starts - maybe if it is running at the initial call it generates an error condition ??

Beyond that - sorry can't help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Uzahma

Uzahma MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2007
    The problem is that the service won't start at all because IESHIMS.DLL is missing.. I have tried to find a proper DLL but have yet to have success.. the last thing I want to do is an in place install or to go back to the Jan 10th Image.. might just try using system restore one mroe time and undoing all my work.. Would prefer just to repair the service... Thank you.. Here's hoping someone else has found the solution.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    This dll seems to be an Internet Explorer dll - you haven't been hit by malware that exploits IE have you ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Uzahma

Uzahma MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2007
    #5 Uzahma, Mar 11, 2010
    (OP)
    It's possible... I had to roll back with system restore to correct the problem and am tempted to roll all the way back to the image restore point * rolls eyes * this bugger was a pain int he keister to get activated this time... Would an In Place install wreck the activation again?? I have checked the system with Spyware Doctor and it found only cookies and a few favorites that had long been in the PC.. and were actually harmless as they were... nothing else happened save for a corrupted file that was why I had to use system restore to get it back.. I have the Windows 7 Manager with it's IE Repair station.. Guess I could try reinstalling IE.. What are your thoughts on the matter?

p.s. On saecond thought.. there's no way to do it with that tool. Blast it all.. I REALLLLLLY don't want to go all the way back to that old image and redo the entire bugger again.. it was a nachtmar to get activated.

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    #6 venu, Mar 11, 2010
    IEShims.dll should be in your "Program Files\Internet Explorer" folder, it should be there on first install.
    Try this.
    just right click on My Computer, go to Properties, click Advanced Properties, then the Environment Variables button.
    In the Environment Variables screen, look for the “Path” variable under the “System Variables” section on the bottom.
    add the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer path to the PATH Environment Variable and restart the Application where you are missing the files.

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    On X64 it is in both IE program files directories and presumably is different - one 32 bit and one 64 ?? Venu's idea seems sound.

8. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    There should be a backup copy of the x64 and x86 versions of ieshims.dll in c:\windows\winsxs subdirectories or wherever you installed win7.

Thats how the two subdirectories are called in my win7 x64 installation:

x64: amd64_microsoft-windows-ie-ieshims_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_none_be3c68d42aec01f7

file is same as in c:\program files\internet explorer (md5 hash matches)

x86: x86_microsoft-windows-ie-ieshims_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_none_621dcd50728e90c1

file is same as in c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer (md5 hash matches)

If these subdirectories also exist in your win7 x64 then copy them to the corresponding program files directory.

9. Uzahma

Uzahma MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2007
    None of these repairs worked, but I was.. able to find one system restore point that the machine would accept.. restored from windows setup disk's srepair center module.. Worked just fine and everything is back to normal.. RG.. What a Nachtmar.

p.s. The system would nto release the files to me for a c/p of the originals from the suggested folders...

10. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    You mean, you couldn't paste ieshims.dll to program files directories ?

This is not a bug, this is a feature :D

It means you can copy ieshims.dll out of the directories I told you, but are not allowed (even as administrator) to overwrite ieshims.dll in program files\internet explorer or program files (x86).

Under Windows 7 even administrators and the system itself are not the owner of system files. For security reasons they are restricted to readonly/run for system files, only TrustedInstaller has full rights.

First you have to be the owner of the ieshims.dll you want to overwrite (change from TrustedInstaller to your user account) and then change the right on this file to minimum "change"