Black Screen after Hibernate Can't do anything

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mamamia88, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    This is really annoying my laptop is completely useless after hibernating it for first time is there anything I can do? please any ideas would be appreciated. I tried force powering down and removing the harddrive

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Try F8 at boot to repair computer then startup

3. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    no loader whatsoever. just totally black screen and when i force it to power back on it's still black

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    So F8 doesn't work? Have you tried your repair disk? Then also repair startup

5. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i can't acess bios or anything just a black screen

6. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    some times display doesn't apair for ram installation problem..
    removing and re-installing ram may fix the problem..
    Have u tried it???

7. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    kill your psu, put of cable power, wait one minute and replug

8. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Get yourself a registry cleaner (e.g., Advanced System Optimizer) . Run it.
    It cleans out unused registries, reallocates your system memory, etc etc.
    It even checks/cleans out spywares/trojans that are hiding in your system.

Once everything is cleaned out and up-to-date, your computer problems should
    go away.

9. C.J.Sparrow1988

C.J.Sparrow1988 MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    Push the Power Button for 10 secs . the laptop will turn off ... turn it on again and everything should be normal ...

10. malachi

malachi MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Check your BIOS Settings and Ensure you have your Power Settings Set to S3 Mode. It is set to S3 try S1 Mode.

Make sure you have plenty of space on the HDD for the Hiber.sys File so you Laptop can successfully hibernate. About twice the size of your installed Ram and Page file give or take.

Some Laptops have a Sleep or a Function Key + Sleep Key Combo that controls Resume.

The last thing will be an error in your BIOS there should be an Update at your laptop Manufacturer. Look for the newest BIOS for your PC and check for the list of Fixes. Even if you do not see Sleep Or Hibernate Listed under Fixes, Updating is recommended and will likely resolve your issue.

11. Heathcliff

Heathcliff MDL Novice

May 4, 2008
    #11 Heathcliff, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi,

You probably have an 'old' ati gpu. The drivers have a 'power-management-issue'. When the lid of the laptop is closed before the laptop goes to sleep or hibernate, the drivers 'forget' to wake up your display when it resumes from sleep or hibernate. In other words, it will remember the state of the display when the laptop went to sleep. That state is being turned off.

3 possible solutions:

This bug was solved in catalyst 10.2 (if I remember correctly). If your gpu is new, you might consider updating your drivers. If your gpu is from X1000 series or something, your stuck with the legacy drivers, which are actually catalyst 9.3. The bug is not solved.

Always keep the lid of the laptop open until the laptop is completely in sleep or hibernate and then close the lid.

Workaround: Reset VGA when resuming from sleep or hibernate. Do the following:

Download and install MCE Standby Tool: slicksolutions.eu/

Download and install Devcon.exe to your Windows\System32 folder: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272

Create a new file called RunResume.reg and open it in Notepad. Copy the text below and paste it in Notepad. Then save the file.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Herman van Eijk\MceStandbyTool]

"RunOnUserResume"="\"C:\\Windows\\ResetDevices.bat\""
    Now double-click the file to add the value to the registry.

Create a new file called ResetDevices.bat in your Windows folder and open it in Notepad. Copy the text below and paste it in Notepad. Open your Device Manager and lookup the deviceid of your monitor and your graphics card. Replace the ID's in the text below with your own device id's. Then save the file.
    Code:
    @echo off

devcon status MONITOR\LPL0000 | find "running"

rem    errorlevel not 1 means it is running
    rem    errorlevel 1 means it is not running

if errorlevel 1 devcon restart *DEV_7145*
    You should be good to go. The script is executed on resume. When it detects that your display device is missing it will restart your graphics adapter. You may see your screen flicker a bit, but then you have your display back.

I begged ATI to port the fixes in power-management to the legacy drivers but they refused and said they did not support the older graphic cards anymore. It took me ages to find out what the problem was exactly and to create a workaround for it. But I can happily put my laptop to sleep now. Hope this works for you too.