Black screen after installing 8.1 Update 1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrMagic, Apr 13, 2014.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    My brother just emailed me, he's just installed update 1 from Windows Update correctly and it's rebooted to a black screen and cursor only - nothing works, safe mode is no different - can't open CMD or Task manager

Can't seem to get Advanced options > System restore, PC keeps only giving F8 safemode options, none of them work

He doesn't have any 8.1 Media either and is too far away for me to help

Any ideas how to get him back into Windows ?

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    did you try to boot with safe mode ?

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Did you read my post ?

Yes, nothing is working - which is why I made a thread

4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #4 Nucleus, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #5 MrMagic, Apr 13, 2014
    (OP)
  6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    This STOP error can occur during startup or at other times. The 8 digit hexadecimal number 0x00000001 translates to the error APC_INDEX_MISMATCH which may be caused by the following:

1. A kernel-level application or device driver running in kernel mode created a mismatch of thread and asynchronous procedure calls (APC) indexes. This is probably due to a file system mismatch in the number of processes that entered the critical area compared to those that left. Allowing the software to run at this point will corrupt or damage the system.
    2. This could be due to newly added hardware or software issues.
    3. This error can pop up when a CD or DVD is inserted into the drive
    4. This error also happens when the computer uses the Windows Vista Aero color scheme.
    5. Sometimes, when we unlock the computer and login to the default desktop this STOP error shows up.
    6. This STOP error sometimes occurs after the computer transitions into to sleep mode repeatedly (by customer usage).
    7. This problem can also happen in a secure desktop environment (when we lock the computer) where an application has registered an “event hook” using an Application Programming Interface
    8. Problems in the Windows system file win32k.sys can trigger this STOP error.
    9. Memory corruption can also create these conditions.
    10. Too much RAM (> 2GB) may exceed motherboard and BIOS capabilities and create this STOP Error.

Solution:

1. Verify that all your hardware is compatible with the Vista operating system.
    2. Verify that all the software updates are installed for the current Operating system as well as on all device drivers and external third party software on the system.
    3. If this error showed up when the computer was restarting, go to Step 8. If the computer was operating normally when this error occurred, then continue to Step 4.
    4. Check the “Problem Reports and Solutions” page or VISTA. Click on Start->Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Problem Reports and Solutions. This facility searches online for device driver updates and solutions to problems caused by external hardware or software.
    5. If the error appears during restart (and the restart is successful in spite of the error) , set the Windows Memory Diagnostic to get more details about the problems during restart. Then go to Step 8.

a. Click on Start->All Programs->Accessories. Right-click on Command-Prompt and choose “Run as administrator”
      b. Enter mdshed.exe at the command prompt. Schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
    6. Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool on Vista to see if the memory is corrupted. This is a very useful application that can detect memory errors during restarts. To configure this tool:

a. Close all applications.
      b. Click on the Start button and in the Search field, type “Memory Diagnostics Tool”.
      c. Choose what type of tests you want to run from the options provided.
      d. Choose the cache setting for each test and the pass count ( number of times to repeat each test)
      e. Set it to run immediately and follow the prompts. Computer restarts.
      f. If the tool finds memory errors, it reports it immediately.
    7. Try to restore the system to a previous restore point. Click on the Windows Start button and type “System Restore” into the Search field. The System Restore application comes up. Choose a restore point and continue to restore system.
    8. Try to restart the computer again. If you cannot restart it using the mouse or keyboard options, shut down the computer by pressing down the manual Power button for a few seconds. When the computer has completely shut down, press the button again to restart the computer.
    9. As the computer restarts, press and hold the F8 key before the Windows Logo appears.
    10. Use the arrow keys to select “Repair the computer” in the “Advanced Boot Options” menu.
    11. Choose a keyboard layout and login using username and password. You will need administrator password if it is set on the system. If you have never set it, then just click on “Continue”.
    12. Choose Startup Repair from the menu for “System Recovery Options”. The Startup Repair process will try to repair the computer.
    13. If this does not solve the problem, check the CD-ROM driver and try to install another one. Open up the chassis and check the motherboard. Reseat the memory chips. Check the power supply. If you have testing equipment for the hardware, use them to detect any hardware malfunctions
    14. If none of the above works, you may have to reformat the drive and re-install the operating system.

Cheers.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks but he has no access to the OS at all - no CMD, no anything, only safemode options and a black screen

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    maybe he can get to cmd via safemode and launch a repair cmd

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    wow.... please read the main post, and my second post, and the rest of the thread

SAFE MODE DOES NOT WORK - NO ACCESS TO CMD - NO ACCESS TO ANYTHING

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    then format, man.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #11 MrMagic, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    (OP)
    lol, again, he has no access to 8.1 media!

Nevermind - Mod can close the thread, we're just going around in circles here with no-one reading any of the posts

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    What do you mean it's not very nice? I explained in the first post all the things we have already tried, and all the things that he does not have access too - almost every single reply failed to read any of my information and just suggested the exact same things I have already explained do not work

If you are not going to take the time to read my posts, then don't reply to my thread, simple

It's his only PC in the house, he has no access to anything else to make any other media otherwise obviously he would have just made an 8.1 USB stick

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    If he has a PO box, Ill send him a DVD. heck no media is an easy fix.

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It's ok guys, we've managed to arrange someone to drive over to him with an 8.1 USB stick later tonight

Microsoft need to pull this update from their servers, it is breaking client machines along with servers, yet they still push it out over Windows Update

Google for 8.1 update 1 black screen, there are loads of people with the same problem

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    black screen has been an issue since first release of 8 for a lot of people too, I understand the frustration you are having. Anyway, the offer stands if you ever need something sent somewhere. Just pm me :biggrin:

GL to him.

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Is there a command prompt command or a method to uninstall KB2919355 from the Repair Console booted from 8.1 USB stick?

System Restore says to select an OS and reboot then try System restore again, but doesn't work

Trying to get the OS fixed instead of formatting - we now have 8.1 on USB to play with and full repair console / CMD etc

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No Restore Point before the update was installed?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It won't even check, it just tells him to reboot and choose the correct operating system, then run system restore again

Only there is no option to choose an operating system

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #19 s1ave77, Apr 13, 2014
    You can try this ... find the Windows Installation in the Recovery CMD, for me it's on D: (C: is the 300 MB System Partition), then navigate to

Code:
    cd D:\Windows\system32
    then try to revert all pending actions with:

Code:
    dism /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
    Adapt the drive letter to match his install location.

20. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #20 MrMagic, Apr 13, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks Ive just sent him that info, fingers crossed - he says the last update to reboot the machine was the main 800MB one KB2919355