Black screen after windows 8 logo

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by janjaapjuh, Mar 26, 2013.

1. janjaapjuh

janjaapjuh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    #1 janjaapjuh, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Hello,

When i boot my ASUS K55VD, the screen stays black after the windows 8 logo for 36-37 seconds. When i use WINDOWS KEY + P comes a menu to select which screen to use. When i click on the right one the login screen comes on. So i know, this isn't a hardware problem. I have done a fresh windows 8 install and drivers have been reinstalled many times.
    Has somebody a solution?

Specs:
    Processor Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.30GHz 6MB Cache, up to 3.30GHz
    Operating System Windows 8 64 bit
    Chipset Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory 6GB DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD 4000
    nVidia GeForce 610M 2GB GDDR3 VRAM

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    check bios for preferred video device..
    in windows uninstall ati from device manger..reboot to auto install.

bios version ?

3. janjaapjuh

janjaapjuh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    My bios hasnt got that option..
    Done that, without any success.

-Motherboard Model: K55VD 1.0
    -Bios version: K55VD.408
    -Bios Type: AMI
    -Bios Slic: 2.1

4. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
  5. joenamond

joenamond MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2012
    one of my laptops came with windows 8 and after the spinning circle it stays black for like 15-30 seconds before going to the start screen.
    i think that's normal but 1-2 minutes sounds like a pc problem.

6. janjaapjuh

janjaapjuh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    Okay i think i've got a bit frustrated with the 'problem'..
    I've timed it, around 36-37 seconds on black screen.
    But you say it is normal for a laptop? then i'm going to buy a ssd soon. :biggrin:

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    half a minute certainly is not good for championship but reasonable for an old, outworn disc which is next to die. Consider the entire machine. I don't know what you have but it seems that it is matter of ancient hardware. Sorry to say

8. janjaapjuh

janjaapjuh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    Are you sure? my laptop is about 2 months old.. :confused:

Processor Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.30GHz 6MB Cache, up to 3.30GHz
    Operating System Windows 8 64 bit
    Chipset Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory 6GB DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD 4000
    nVidia GeForce 610M 2GB GDDR3 VRAM

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #9 PaulDesmond, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    oh, then, the problem is somewhere else. can be the disc/RAM which came in a bad shape > warrenty

sorry overlooked your specs in your first post

10. janjaapjuh

janjaapjuh MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, i think i will use the warrenty. But how do i know it is only the disk? If it is only a bad HDD i replace it with a SSD..

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Don't waste money. Go to your dealer and complain and insist in a change of the machine. Only after this you can do what you want. Changing the disc prior to claim your warranty it will not be valid any more.

12. hackoo

hackoo MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    I have the same shape

13. thepla

thepla MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2013
    #13 thepla, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    I have same issue with a brand new ASUS laptop with i7 chip, 8 GB memory and 750 GB Hard drive.. My AV is bitdefender total security 2013.

Same 30 or seconds after windows logo there is a black screen. Than metro shows up for 1 minute or and now to my desktop. Disk is thrashing the entire time so I know it is working but always get that sick feeling there is an issue.

Here is what I did to create system, used PCMOVER to move from a windows 7 system, cleaned registry afterwards for many items that were not valid. Fresh load of many programs including Visual Studio, Office 2013, etc.

When I create ntboot log there are several items that are replicated that do not load. All of these do have one that is loaded in a previous entry.

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\gzflt.sys
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\trufos.sys

One other thing I tried to do windows update that included Visual Studio (Fresh install) and afterward system said it failed and reverting back, it actually reverted twice before coming back up after failed updates.

Doing a system restore is not something I really want to perform.

14. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    can you go to bios and disable nvidia and keep everything to default and see what happens? also check that your monitor is set to single instead of extended . mine does the same(mine is a Custom PC) even if not connected to TV as a second monitor. Otherwise get yourself a Linux Live Dvd and see what happens before you mess around with either windows or touch hardware.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It could be the Graphics Driver, special if you've Combo Graphics in your Laptop. I've similar problems in an Acer 4752G and that because of the bundled Grahics Intel and Nvidia! Nothing could be done if you like to have the full performance! I had used to disable the Nvidia and run on Intel only which had the result that:
    1. the delay was gone
    2. the outcome was low graphic performance
    No wonder, the Intel just has 128MB Memory while the Nvidia has 1GB!! To disable the Intel and run the Nvidia, nothing will work at all and windows wont boot!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I am sorry to say that. I have built many machines by myself and I never had 'a bad shape' of a piece of hardware which caused delayed boot.
    They behave binary so to say, they work or they work not. Slow performance is usually due to bad / wrong / legacy drivers.....

A hard disk loses clusters, but not r/w speed. And RAM loses functionality of circuits which appears as blue screen and a reboot.....

I just would install w7 to test if there is a HW issue....but since it's brand new I'd ask to get a replacement

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Yen, I agree with you when talking about RAM which either works or not. I do not agree with you in terms of HDD. I remember a brand new disc which I mounted into a custom box and was wondering about a very slow performance. I double-checked with the same model and found totally different performance. Finally, the disc came in a bad shape. I had it replaced and everything went fine.
    Just to clear my point of view

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I guess that happens very rarely. :)

Was it just the performance that was weak, or were there any other issues (random boot failure, data corruption, clicking of r/w heads, beginning of data loss?)
    To my experiences the HDD behaved that way....never had 'just' a slow r/w data rate...

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    At my end, it happened exactly two times within a period of at least 20 years. It is interesting that it was the same manufacturer. i switched to another brand and never again found such problems. I will not speak bad about this manufacturer, so I do not mention the brand. Yen, as I said that the performance was bad from the beginning and I immediately replaced the bad disc, I cannot say which other problems might have come up during the usage. I only detected a very long unnormal boot time and write and read delays which could be monitored by the hour glass or a spinning circle. One of the two disc even caused a BSOD after a few minutes or went into a freeze mode.
    Anyway, it is not the rule but s**t can happen everywhere

20. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    most unlikely with tendency below zero :D