Black screen and strange restart after installing Featur pack (KB2937592) to Win8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pra_viilon, Mar 21, 2014.

1. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #1 pra_viilon, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Okay, like many users I had downloaded the latest (RTM) version of the Windows 8.1 Update 1 and installed it as described in instructions (with all proper restarts after each update, I did not need first update of the four, as I had the March patch installed already).

All was fine until I installed the last tiny update - Feature Pack for Windows (KB2937592).

The update told me that it needed a reboot (though Wzor description was telling it did not need it).
    After reboot and logging into the account, my screen went completely blank, it stayed black for a while, until strange start button started appearing in some places on the screen, then all went dark, PC rebooted and then was all normal. Update is listed as successfully installed, so says the Event manager.
    sfc /scannow showed no corruption.
    dism also did not need to repair anything.

About my Win 8.1 installation: it was Win 8.1 SL 64-bit RTM which later I upgraded to Win 8.1 ProWMC. Only default English language installed. I had all updates installed from Windows Update, including the March patch Tuesday. All GA Rollup updates were installed through WU. I had never used .msi packages on this system before, it was completely clean and nice install.

Any guesses? If this is related to the fact that I had SL edition upgraded to ProWMC and this is a bug, then I guess microsoft did screw up with this last tiny feature pack update.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Those symptoms are usually related to some system files not loading correctly for some reason.
    It could be a driver or hardware issue, but is most likely related to either the updates not installing correctly, or some sort of security program or other custom software interfering with the update process.

3. Cag

Cag MDL Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Or perhaps a antivirus... Install update only with windows defender!

4. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I have only Windows Defender. And I am pretty sure no 3rd party software was interfering, unless it is Nvidia Geforce (latest driver)

5. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    This update requires 2 reboots. Nothing strange here.

6. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Description said it did not require reboot at all. After the "normal" reboot, I logged into my account, and when desktop was supposed to appear it went dark and then the 2nd abnormal reboot happened.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Can't exactly remember for this update, but some need a second reboot, before the actual system starts up :hmm:.

EDIT: Equal what the procedure might suggest, this is at least decided by the Update Installer :D. Still no really normal behavior indeed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...