Black screen, No dell welcome screen, cant do new install, enter bios or safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by L0dgik83, Mar 17, 2013.

1. L0dgik83

L0dgik83 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi all

I have done LOADS of searching different places about this problem I have.
    I want to do a clean install but as the PC boots all I see is a black screen,
    the up pops the XP welcome screen (Yes win7 form sorry
    about it been a XP problem more or less I just really need help
    on this 2nd PC to get win7 onto it) then the PC boots as normal
    I get too the desktop but my OS is XP and I do not want XP as my OS lol
    and if I had to install XP again the PC needs a clean install anyway too
    give it a fresh start!

There has to be something that has stopped the dell welcome screen with the blue loader below
    coming up on boot?!?! It did when I got this old PC its a dell dimension 2400 lol but better then nothing
    at the moment :sarc:

Any help would be great I am really stuck and do not know what to do here :huh:

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You have to be more specific as to your problem if you do, in fact, require any help. There is no question here..;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    dimension 2400 = 2002 .. old video not supported. cant put a videocard unless its pci.. not many support win7.. new pc

4. L0dgik83

L0dgik83 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    Yea it is a old pc lads and the videocard is pci and im not even running off of that because the system wont show up using it so I use the mobo graphics. My problem is 1 there is NO[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif] Dell splash screen to press F12 or F2 to either enter the bios menu or the boot to safe mode menu. I now want to do a fresh install of XP its looking like 7 would be a disaster on dis old baby so I want to install A fresh clean brand new XP on my Dell but cant because there is no Dell splash screen to get to boot from the USB or CD or even enter the bios menu... Last week the splash screen that says Dell with the blue loader below it was there and just all of a sudden its gone and now I cant do the re-install, All I get when I re start my PC is a black screen then XP welcome screen comes up, before that there should be the dell splash screen were I can enter the BIOS and all of the above but its vanished... Someone must have had this problem before? I cant for the life of me figure it out and im goggling like hell trying to find out whats happened!! Lads and girls please any help would be so much appreciated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]God bless[/FONT]

5. TheOldScout

TheOldScout MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Try booting with the hard drive power connector unplugged, see if you can get into the bios screen that way.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You hit F2 repeatedly on boot? Try to launch setup menu??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. L0dgik83

L0dgik83 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    I have tried hitting F2 and others like F12 but its only a black screen when im trying that and if I do try it XP wont boot at all the screen just stays black, if i reboot the PC and press nothing IL get a black screen for a bit then Welcome to XP screen comes up. There is no dell splash screen at all!! and if I try to use f2 or anty other combination it wont boot at all and no screen comes on just blackness, im lost lads

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    disconnect all of the cables and remove the video card.

9. L0dgik83

L0dgik83 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    Thanks for all the help lads, I aint been online in a bit only got a new PC forget how i fixed my
    problem but im sure I did. Thanks again all :worthy: