Black screen of nothingness when switching language in Windows 8.1 Update 1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SkullKid2000, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #1 SkullKid2000, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    With a flashing mouse? After switching language pack and applying it to new accounts and welcome/lock screen? I am typing this from my laptop, and haven't changed language pack on this one yet.

I am sorry if it seems like I am "in a hurry", but yes, I am :( Need to get my desktop up and running (the one with the "black screen of nothingness")

Yours Sincerely

Skull Kid

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    reboot and hold down the Shift key and repeatedly hit the F8 key, choose advanced repair options , troubleshooting..hopefully there is a restore point

3. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks, but is there a fix for this? Am I the only one getting this? :S

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    Most are from updating from win8 to 8.1 , but similar symptoms

5. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I see. Well I will look around and see what I can find.

6. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #6 SkullKid2000, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    (OP)
    And so... I am indeed Writing this from my desktop. The Swedish language pack installs alright, but when I sign/log out or reboot, I get a black screen...

7. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe share what you did to resolve this and help others.:biggrin:

8. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Well... I did not really do anything to solve it... except for waiting for the language pack to install... but when I apply the language settings to the lock screen and new accounts... and sign out, I get a black screen with flashing "things" at the lower corners of the screen? :fear2:

9. iNViSY

iNViSY MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    I've registered just because I have the exact same problem.

A Toshiba Satellite laptop that is in top condition, everything running smoothy, but the screen always goes black after applying language settings to the welcome screen and new accounts (Region Settings > Administrative > Copy settings). I have intentionally triggered the problem multiple times now.

10. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    I have had the black screen problem with 4 of my 5 destop PCs. In my case it was related to the firmware of the SSDs that has the OS installed. All but two of my PCs that had Win 8.1 installed on them, had the no shut off problem, (easy fix ... turn off hibernate). Lucky for me three of the SSDs were Intel and they had an update for their firmware. In my case it would just give a black screen after I got into Windows, (it was random, and not specific to any program or update, etc. So I would have to reboot and it would be ok for awhile). I don't know if any of this will help you, but may at least give you some other options for a fix, (or maybe not).

11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    WZOR has clearly mentioned to apply all the rollup updates & the language packs before the installation of Windows 8.1 Spring 2014 Update

If you had installed Language Pack after the Windows 8.1 Spring 2014 Update, then it would update newer files with older one and that cause problems.

12. iNViSY

iNViSY MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    It didn't help my case. Once the problem started, there was no way back but reformat. The Windows splash screen pops up, then the black screen, with the mouse flickering if moved. Even Safe Mode didn't work. And the hard disk isn't SSD, so no firmware update. The only logical explanation would be a glitch in the install disc/image.

I've used murphy's image, with all the updates integrated. I did the OS install, then language pack, then those few updates that were left. I've completed setting up the system entirely, but then ticked that 'Apply to welcome screen' option, and I got the dark screen after the next reboot.

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Just to nip this in the bud I'd like to mention what the problem is:
    1) Windows Update downloads all language files on demand when you change language
    2) Windows Update does not have the files for the Update1 versions (It won't until the update is officially released)
    3) When it installs the language pack it will install old files that don't match your system if at all

To fix:
    1) Uninstall kb2919355
    2) Change language after you reboot
    3) Re-install kb2919355 if you wish (msu files are not language dependent unless specified)

14. iNViSY

iNViSY MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    This has to be the case.

Unfortunately, I was on a deadline, and had to return the laptop. It was working flawlessly besides that. However, I'm very interested in the cause of the problem, so I will be testing the same install disc on my Dell Inspiron when I have some time in the following days, even tho I'm certain you've hit the nail on the head.

15. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks a LOT Murphy :D You saved my day!

Once again, Thank You!