black screen on startup with flashing underscore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gonnadoit, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonnadoit

gonnadoit MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    I installed windows 7 on a seperate partition with xp and it installed fine but when I used the loader from daz my computer doesn't start up anymore. there's a flashing underscore at the top left of the screen after it loads the screen with the option to go to bios. I tried holding the r and c key but didn't work. I put in the windows 7 disc but it doesn't let me get to the screen where I can choose the repair option. any way I can fix this?

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Why doesn't it let you get to the screen where I can choose the repair option?

What happens?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. domatlapuk

domatlapuk MDL Expert

Sep 12, 2009
    You can try to go to Bios set up and look to Boot priority maybe window is looking for bootable device that as failure so it will not boot correctly... thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gonnadoit

gonnadoit MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    #4 gonnadoit, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    (OP)
    screen goes to the black screen with underscore. this is when the DVD is in my USB DVD drive.

when it's in my internal one it tells me to press a key to load from it and I do but it just gives me a black screen without the underscore

edit- not sure how I did it but I can repair it now using the win7 DVD. though I tried all the loader modes and none of them worked. do I need to change the slic type or something?

Fixed it. see above