Black screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rporter3, Jun 5, 2012.

1. rporter3

rporter3 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2012
    #1 rporter3, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Windows 7 64 bit

Sorry if this has already been solved a hundred times but I couldn't find a thread with my problem exactly.

I recently built a PC and used removewat to successfully boot my computer the first time. I downloaded all my drivers, windows updates, antivirus, etc. and again successfully booted it a second time. However, the third time I rebooted for several remaining drivers (and apparently more windows updates), it got stuck after loading windows and hearing the tone. Now all I see is a cursor at this black screen where keys are also useless. The only thing that does work is safe mode... help.

EDIT: I booted it under low resolution and it was successful. Does this mean there's something wrong with my graphics card, or could the drivers I installed have messed it up like this?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. rporter3

rporter3 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2012

I'd really rather not have to restart because I installed everything... but if that's the only thing left to do I will. I right clicked on my graphics card and it says it has the most up to date drivers.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    I suggest you go to your video card maker's site and confirm you have the latest driver. What Windows thinks is the latest driver is not always the very latest. All my video cards are nVidia, and their site always has new driver releases before Windows knows about them. It may be your current driver is corrupt and simply needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

But you seriously need to get rid of RemoveWAT. It causes more problems than it solves.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sometimes removing from device manager and rebooting does trick.