Black screen with mouse cursor before logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pontovsk, Nov 5, 2010.

1. pontovsk

pontovsk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    My system is not booting anymore, im just getting that black screen with a mouse cursor just before the logon screen. I've already checked my hardware several times. Im using windows 7 ultimate, please help.

2. Meru

Meru MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    32 or 64 bits.

I have the same problem, didn't find a fix yet, apparently it is due different causes.

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    For me this issue was caused.by a faulty graphics card. Removed it, problem solved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Start your computer and repeatedly press the F8 key until you reach the advanced boot options menu. In some cases, pressing F8 will pop up the boot device selection. If that happens, press Esc and continue pressing F8 repeatedly.

In the advanced boot options, select either Safe Mode, or, if you want to check if the problem lies solely on the graphics card, select Enable Low Resolution Video (640x480).

Another suggestion is F8ing your way to the advanced boot options, select Repair Your Computer and choose System Restore. Try restoring your system to a date before the problem.

5. vitek

vitek MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Hm, my DELL computer at work had that problem.

It would boot past the bios but not into windows.
    ("F8" key did not work)

Booted up the computer with the Win7 disc, did startup repair and it didn't find anything.
    (yet the computer booted up)

Next day it was the exact same thing. black screen with a large white cursor in the upper left corner.

re-wrote the mbr using the command prompt (recovery console) and it's been fine for a little over a week.

P.S.

This was an authentic Dell Vostro computer that came with win7 installed.
    ie) no loaders or dual boot

6. sjusjusju

sjusjusju MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    Did it start right after having installed Service Pack 1?

I had to disable Aero or just set colour depth to 16bit and could see the desktop again.
    But for various other reasons, I just uninstalled the SP1: too many problems for me and no benefit.

sjusjusju

7. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    how and what did you write for the mbr ? I have the same problem for a long time now.
    I can only start up with daz recovery cd.