Blank Settings icon in This PC window

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by petejk, Jul 20, 2015.

1. petejk

petejk MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi,
    I've got an issue where I have a blank settings icon in the This PC (My computer) window, and I can't seem to track down a fix. Would anyone be kind enough to shed some light on how to resolve it short of a reinstall/refresh?

Blank settings icon.jpg

Also, I have an App that seems to be corrupt or partly installed on my Start Menu, which I can't uninstall.

Corrupt Windows Parental Controls app.jpg

Pictures of both are attached.
    Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Was this an upgrade?

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #3 dhjohns, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If this doesn't work you will need to re-install. It doesn't take long to do a re-install but try this first. Paste in command prompt which you have opened AS ADMINISTRATOR
    Code:
    PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. petejk

petejk MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes i've been upgrading using ISOs, and then through the insider program, with one refresh part way through since the early builds. I was trying to get around installing fresh, but I guess I have to decide whether I want to put up with a couple of minor niggles such as these. RTM is running well otherwise!
    Thanks for the help dhjohns