Blank Start Screen and Metro Interface broken (win8)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Grumphus, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Grumphus

Grumphus MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 Grumphus, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Greetings everyone. Metro UI is practically broken and Start screen is completely blank although I can still access the desktop.

Based on what I've read in this blog post, it looks like the User Account files got corrupted which is probably why sfc /scannow doesn't work as well as safe mode. Guest Account works fine. Chkdsk found no problems. There are no activation problems. System restore points seem to be missing.

The post suggests that I should add a new admin and then unlink the old admin account. The problem is, user management requires the Windows 8 settings app which also doesn't work.

Is there another way to add a new user in Windows 8? Perhaps some secret Run command? Anybody else fixed this problem another way? Thanks!

2. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Verry secret key combo, please don't share :p

Win Key + R
    type lusrmgr.msc

3. Grumphus

Grumphus MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks a lot. Never heard of that one before. A secret it is :D

I don't have access to the problematic computer at the moment but will definitely give it a try and update this post if the problem is resolved. Big thanks again to you good sir!

4. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Or maybe you could use good old windows control panel and go to user accounts.
    Seems that people are forgetting that there is still a desktop hidden under the Metro Modern UI.