Block windows 10 updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gundja, Aug 28, 2017.

1. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi guys , i have got a bunch of notebook with only 40 gb ssd hard disk and i am running win 10 on it.
    The problem is that as from today i noticed that i have got only around 1 gb free space and i am strongly suspecting windows 10 updates filling up the free space. So i have setup to defer windows 10 update such that windows does not automatically download and install latest updates. Anything else should i do guys ?Of course i have not installed a lot of things or other stuffs that have caused the hard disk to fill it up.

thanks

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    open This PC
    right click the C drive
    select Properties (bottom of list)
    click Disk Cleanup (it will chug away for a while)
    then click Clean Up System Files button at bottom
    click in the boxes that have have more than zero bytes.

Then click OK this should remove temporary/old stuff to give you some space back, may not be a huge amount but with such a small ssd it will hopefully gain some space back. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi mxman2k :D well Dism++ also works fine sorry for beak in your post dude :p oopps in time disabling Hibernation also user can earn some good MB so open cmd @adm type powercfg /h off

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Right click Disk Cleanup
    run as Admin.

5. rpo

rpo MDL Addicted

Jan 3, 2010
    Stop the Windows Update service
    Delete the c:\windows\softwaredistribution directory
    Start the Windows Update service (c:\windows\softwaredistribution will be recreated)

6. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    thanks ...as usual nice tips from everyone..

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Interestingly that no-one come up with the most efficient: Set the Internet to a Metered Connection! That would prevent to download all update from MS!

To do that changes, open Control Settings, go to Network & Internet, under Status click on Change connection properties and set Set the metered connection to On!

8. softfinds

softfinds MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2017
    Don't use built in tool/utility to get updates in Windows 10, Windows creates lots of problems. Use Windows update Minitool

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Although WUMT has it's own GUI, it still uses the Windows Updates System, it's a Frontend not any standalone program :thinking:.

10. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    #11 cbsvitzer, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    [
    Metered Connecticut is fine, but if you have Outlook 2016 (or 2013) you will get an error:
    Can't send or receive email in Outlook and "Metered Connection Warning" is triggered