Blocking “Do you want to leave this site?” pop-up

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    While browsing on several sites, when I try to cancel or leave the page, even refresh it, I get an annoying pop-up asking me: “Do you want to leave this site?” As if I'd close the tab without wanting to leave.

I find asking for such confirmation quite unnecessary and in the long run annoying. It’s not specific to a particular browser and the adblocker does nothing to stop it.

So is there a way of getting rid of this nuisance?

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    This usually only happens to me when the site content that I'm manipulating is not saved yet. For example, configuration of modems or while posting some content on blog or forum.

In these cases, confirmation seems to me very welcome.

* I use Chrome and Pale Moon (Firefox).

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had this case today. it was a pressreader or newsreader from preinstalled win7 hp oem upgraded to win 10.. rssfeed in internet explorer.
    does it happen on news sites or rss enabled sites ?

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You need proper dns like opendns to filter out the rubbish sites as the simplest way. This popup is usually caused by sites that are trying to display some ad content or worse. Any decent browser will have the option to filter out dangerous sites. Closing that popup window can result, on malicious sites, in a drive by download if the browser is susceptible to it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    dangerous sites:

getsecureddata.

downloadopensoftware.

windowsblocknotice

Charl

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This would be the proper use of the pop-up, but unfortunately there's a lot of abuse of it about.

Next time it happens to me, I'll try disabling JavaScript as an experiment, though that would make sites not work properly.

But from what I remember, I didn't have this problem with old Opera 12.18. And though this browser version is now obsolete, it demonstrates that there is a way of doing it.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    If you use Google Chrome browser, with browser open, see if you have a very small tab at far left, if you do, right click on small tab, and select unpin tab. :D

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks for remembering my problem and coming back with advice.

I don't use Chrome, but new Opera, which is based on the same engine. Unfortunately, I can't see any small tab at the far left. I also posted in their support forum but nobody had an answer. Lastly, I even tried disabling JavaScript, without effect. So I have given up.

Nevertheless, your suggestion could be of use to Chrome users.

P.S. I take the opportunity to add that this board also produces such a pop-up message, but in its case it's justified because it does it when you try to leave an unfinished new post. Actually, even in this justified case, I'd prefer not to get the pop-up, as I usually know what I'm doing.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe you could create a Screenshot of that 'very small tab', so user's could know what you're talking about?!, And to mention, I didn't have that very small tab in my Chrome ([FONT=&quot]Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit))![/FONT]

10. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    When this popup “Do you want to leave this site?” is encountered , I use task manger to end task , so as to hopefully avoid anything unwanted. As you say can result in malicious activity if close the popup directly.

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    In fact, closing any pop-up or accepting the site’s conditions or pressing “ENTER” in order to proceed or clicking “More info” etc can lead to infection. And sometimes even visiting the site can do this.

12. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    How can just visiting a website result in an infection? I am not an expert. I use Chrome, but would be grateful for advice. I have never had a virus as such, but have had the odd advertising bumph. I never open emails I do not like the look of in Outlook Preview. Also never answer phone calls if I do not recognise the number, or am expecting an immediate call back.

As I have said before, I think that it is not possible to truly clean a Windows PC, and always format and reinstall. Thanks to advice from this forum, I just boot with the Windows 10 disk, format and reinstall. It automatically activates online. I am lucky in having another computer to use, so re-installation is not a big deal.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Yes, it is possible to get infected by just visiting a (suitably prepared) site. You can find out more by googling: “drive by infection”.

But you are doing the right things to protect yourself, so don’t worry unduly but enjoy your surfing taking reasonable care.

As for reinstalling Windows, if you keep regular backups of a healthy system, you can then restore it if it gets infected without reinstallation.

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks, but my Opera browser doesn't seem to have such a setting.