Bloodrage Motherboard and Memory Issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MPI_00, Dec 24, 2009.

1. MPI_00

MPI_00 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    Last night I was installing a new cpu fan and when i tried to boot it up it would turn on for whatever reason. I really can't remember hitting the bio reset button on the back. It loads up with 4Gbs but when I add the 3rd stick it just stays on stand by with no bootup screen or anything just post code 68. All three sticks are Corsair Dominators
    at 2GBs each. I've change the sticks to back and forth and I can confirm its not the memory. Again everything was fine till I changed the cpu fan and I'm not that stupid I know its not the cpu fan. Could it be the 3rd slot maybe a bio issue. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Well if all was working fine before then i doubt if its a bios issue. Have you connected the cpu fan correclty ?......:).......just asking ?
    As it sounds like everything was ok before id be looking at whether or not you have some bad ram. Use memtestx86 and do a process of elimination to see which if any of your ram modules are bad .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MPI_00

MPI_00 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    Well let me be more detailed since I've had time to run more tests.

I used memtestx86 program and it didn't tell me much about the ports. It only read the ones that were being used. The issue is that the PC won't boot when a stick is in DIMM 3. Again I've tested all 3 Corsair Dominator sticks and they all work. They worked before as well. Just seems odd that the DIMM 3 slot would just stop working. At one point when I was checking the RAM out I got Debug Code 53, and when I had a stick in the DIMM 3 slot Debug Codes 69, 00, E8 and 02 ran back and forth. The next time I tested it it just would stay at 68.

Works fine with DIMM 1 or DIMM 2 or both but won't boot if any stick is in DIMM 3. Should I start thinking about trying to replace the board?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Is this DDR2 or 3 ram ? i thought they had to be added in pairs.

5. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    the common sense logic to the situation, the 3rd dimm is bad. if the board is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer for RMA.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If you were occupying 3 dimm sockets before and they were fine then i would have to agree with Drably. However as Urie stated, usually ddr2 and 3 have to be in pairs. To my knowledge at least.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    seems i may have been wrong.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    ??? Interesting. Funnily enough my mobo will only support single sided memory modules when occupying 4 dimms...... now that is a strange quirk !

9. MPI_00

MPI_00 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    UPDATE:

No idea what expactly happened. But I finally was in contact with Foxconn, they adviced me to check the pins on my motherboard saying that if they were bent the MB wouldn't read the RAM slots correctly. Well i did just that, no pins were bent so i reinstalled everything, and just prayed thinks worked. after a 5 to 10 second delay the PC booted up with all 3 sticks in. checked 2 or 3 times and still worked. Again NO idea what happend but things seems to be fine now. Ironically now my case display is giving me porblems reading the temp of the CPU but its no an issue seeing i can use speenfan to check temps. Anyways thank you all for your help and time.

^_^

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Glad to hear your problem is resolved. :) Amazing what a bit of disassemble re-assemble can do. :D

11. markedbyalantattoos

markedbyalantattoos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    You may have reached the max your board supports. What is your mainboard model.