Blue Screen Error (Unexpected Shutdown) please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thedoctor13, Apr 25, 2011.

1. thedoctor13

thedoctor13 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    I have searched and searched and decided this website is best for my situation. So i have been experiencing the BSOD for a few days. I just recently installed Windows 7 from Windows Vista Ultimate. I have an emachines desktop computer with AMD Athlon LE-1600 Processor and 1GB RAM. I do not know very much about computers. just the basics.

So windows 7 worked fine. Then stupid me tried to download a microsoft office 2010 activator online and when i tried running it it crashed my main OS (C:) hard drive. When i tried to shut the computer down, it froze and i had to hold the power button down. then after logging on i received a blue screen error about an unexpected shutdown. and when i logged on my desktop was empty and when i tried adding applications from my external )E:) hard drive to my desktop i received a message that the desktop was not working or that it couldnt be found. and my OS (C:) drive wasnt being recognized by my computer. i didnt have internet or anything. and so i tried to run CHKDSK and it failed. I also received a message about Counter Spy by Sunbelt Software was incompatible with this version of windows. i dont know if that is an important driver or what.

so i finally managed to restore a previous checkpoint of my computer from Fix-It Utilities 9 and got everything back but my computer is still acting funny. Also when my hard drive wasnt recognized i tried using a bootable rescue disk and scan my drives and what not and it couldnt find any errors or fix them. some tests failed. i couldnt figure out the problem. and my computer works fine except for my internet browsers (google chrome, internet explorer) whenever i google and click on a link it will take me to a advertisement page. and instead of taking me to the page it brings me to an advertisement. also whenever i am on the internet i get notifications constantly from norton that reads "an attempt to attack your computer was blocked" and when i view the details it is from some random computer and there are lots of them. but everytime i run disk scans and what not nothing is detected.
    also everytime i shutdown i get the same blue screen error and it restarts and wont shutdown so i have to hold the power button down. and when i turn it on it shows the screen to start in safe mode or start windows normally. i have tried lots of tests and scans and google searches and CANNOT figure out what the deal is.

My bluescreen error message says,

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR"

if this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

(then goes on about safe mode and troubleshooting)

"technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000A0 (0x00000001, 0x00000006, 0x8462C450, 0x00000000)
    Collecting data for crash dump...
    initializing disk for crash dump...
    beginning dump of physical memory

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    1) If the browser's taking you to an ad you have malware. Download and scan with free malwarebytes.

2) For general misbehaviour, launch command prompt as admin then type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. SFC fixes corrupted system files.

3) STOP: 0x000000A0 error usually occurs if the size of the hibernation file is insufficient. Launch command prompt as admin, then type the following command and press ENTER:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Type exit and press ENTER to close the command prompt window

3. thedoctor13

thedoctor13 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    I tried your advice, got rid of infected files with malwarebyte, did both commands and restarted my computer. It took forever to reboot. But then once again the blue screen error and the screen that asks for safe mode with networking or command and start windows normally. When I did the commands I thought they would work but unfortunately I still have the blue screen. I am doing the sfc scannow command in safe mode with command prompt. Anybody else have advice? I have tried several different scans and test and I can't figure out a solution. I can't find answers on google.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Why dont you disable hibernation, just to check. Launch cmd as admin, type

powercfg -h off

Hit Enter. Make sure to change power options if you have set things like hibernate when lid close etc. Now test.

I can take a look at the bsod dump, it should be there in C:\windows\Minidump folder. You'll need to zip it and upload here. If there are several use the latest.

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #5 zahnoo, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    I'd add one thing to the superior advice you're getting: once you get to a stable OS, make an image of your system and backup up all your personal data. You can use 7's Backup and Restore or a third part program such as Acronis True Image, Clonezilla and etc. Just use something.

One of the worst mistakes anyone can make (newbies, noobies, noobs, veteran users ... anybody in fact) is failing to backup. You may never need it, but if you think your current situation is frustrating, it's minor compared to a total system crash.

On the blue screen. A clean install of Windows 7 usually fixes a multitude of sins. If you just cannot end the BSODs, consider a complete system rebuild using links found on this forum to get Windows 7 and any loader you might choose. But be absolutely certain to backup all your personal data before you wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. onemustang

onemustang MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2010
    IF you cannot fix it ,just copy all the files u want from the hard drive, then reinstall new windows from scratch

7. thedoctor13

thedoctor13 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    So i tried to zip the most recent dmp file and could not succeed. I tried zipping it with WinRar and also sending it to a zipped folder and could not. I tried to set the admin settings of the dmp file and still was unable to zip the file. So i am doing a full backup on my 300GB external hard drive and then will reinstall Windows 7. Will i also have to reinstall the newest Daz Windows Loader?

thanks for the advice. this site has saved my computer from being ruined plenty of times. I am a computer newb but am learning quickly.

8. thedoctor13

thedoctor13 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    I was also wondering how to wipe my computer clean after my backup so i can reinstall Windows 7 from an iso dvd.

9. ft@t@lk

ft@t@lk MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2011
    yes you will...don't connect to internet and run it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ft@t@lk

Apr 15, 2011
    #10 ft@t@lk, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

boot off your win7 DVD and delete the partition that has your current OS on it, recreate the partition and format it

11. thedoctor13

thedoctor13 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    how do i delete the partition from the win7 dvd?

12. ft@t@lk

Apr 15, 2011
    choose Custom when initiating the Setup (you know how to boot from dvd right?) and highlight the OS partition where you installed your Win7 and hit Delete button on-screen

13. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    My preferred method to wipe a drive is DBAN. It is free and you can download it from:

www dban org

(Still have not reached the magic number of posts to include non-mangled links)

14. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #14 zahnoo, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    Any good partition editor can do that as well as the HDD setup software that's likely available from the drive maker's site, i.e. Seatools, MaxBlast and etc.

15. speed.crash

speed.crash MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Try replace your memory or ram maybe its already defective.

16. catalinoo9

catalinoo9 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Error message on a blue screen
    link:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/979444

DOWNLOAD UPDATE :
    Windows6.1-KB979444-x86.msu

link:
    download1082.mediafire.com/kopmdl7xdesg/dc0cwwmm28ho9k7/Windows6.1-KB979444-x86.msu

I just happened after I updated the network card driver, after I installed this update is no problem

17. speed.crash

speed.crash MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    #17 speed.crash, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    A blue screen error like "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer" are likely cause by memory problem. Memory problems are "intermittent", there are times or days your computer works perfectly and suddenly an error appears again and it can corrupt your O.S.. If you don't do something about it, you always have to repair or restore, or worst re-install your O.S. over and over again. I ran similar problem on my 3 computers in the past and all solved by replacing the defective memory.