Blue Screens and other stuff

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chaco, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Chaco

Chaco MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2013
    So Im running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my computer, i thought i put it on my ssd but when i checked a minute ago it couldnt boot from there, it may be booting from a hdd i also have in there but the most recent freeze i had while i was browsing the internet it showed no blue screen but a striped glitch pattern across the screen. But before there were two more when I was trying to install some drivers, it looks like i may have to adjust where windows is though..

Any help is appreciated and i can give u more system info or blue screen dumps or whatever im just not positive where to find the needed files

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Disk Management will tell you which drive is the system drive. For six of my seven, Disk0 is system; on one it's Disk1. I have no idea what I did to cause that, but it works fine so I leave it alone.

As to the BSOD, what is the faulting file, if any, and and what are the error messages displayed? Is this new? Did you make a system change you can reverse to see it the BSODs stop?

3. Chaco

Chaco MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2013
    Its new as far as i can tell, it seemed to be running fine after the install. Previously i had a similar issue where i could only get 15-30 minutes of activity from the system, but i thought it was the video card so i started (and have since finished) an RMA on it. Ill have to check what file it was that was causing the issue because it did have one listed as i recall. Ill grab my dump files as well but im on mobile rn so i dont have access to them just yet (should be 30m - an hour before i post again)

I have a strong suspicion that it may be hardware related bc of the way the cpu was installed (one of the clips that lock it into the mb has been bent so that the unit cant be removed) im not sure how i did this but I started from scratch on this system so im pretty positive i did it, which to me denotes a lack finesse when i first built it.

4. Chaco

Chaco MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2013
    #4 Chaco, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    (OP)
    View attachment 112213-6848-01.zip

Ok so I couldn't find the filename but I think it was different both times. I did find the dump files however, or I should say file bc there was only one.

Further update on what I've done: I uninstalled chrome and razer synapse and idk if it's gonna be working any better but I feel like they could've had cleaner installs. I managed to pick up AMD Catalyst Install manager (tbh I'm not entirely sure which drivers I need/don't need, so I usually just get ones that "look" helpful) so idk if that's a source of problems bc I don't know that I have anything by AMD even in this comp but asus had it listed for my video card on their drivers page.

The only other thing I can think of is that it bnlue screened when I tried to install usb 3 drivers, at some point I must've successfully got them bc it shows up in my list and when I tried the ones I downloaded it read that the ones I was trying to install were older than the ones I had, so I just ddidnt do anything.

heres a shot of my program list if u see any problem items lemme know:
    Untitled.jpg

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    "Its new as far as i can tell, it seemed to be running fine after the install." As far as you can tell? Who built it and who's been running it? How long did it run before it started having problems? If it was minutes after first start up, it likely is something related to the build. Hardware incompatibilities maybe. If it was days or weeks or months later it could be because of some system change that was made or maybe even heat related.

Assuming you straightened the bent pin on the CPU and mounted it correctly, that's unlikely to be the source of your BSODs. I've straightened pins on many CPUs and never had a problem. However, first thing I'd do is pull the CPU and check the pins ... none should be bent or otherwise damaged. While you're at it, clean the CPU's cover and the fan's base with rubbing alcohol, reapply a good thermal paste per the directions (I like Arctic Silver) and remount the heat sink and the CPU. However, this being a brand new build, everything is suspect from memory sticks on down.

I don't have a way to read the dump file on this computer and frankly, they never did me much good. The data displayed right there on the BSOD always helped far more: faulting file and error code. Those can be dealt with directly and all you have to do is read the screen and write them down. There may not be a faulting file, but if there is and it keeps changing, that's a clue in and of itself.

6. Chaco

Chaco MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2013
    #6 Chaco, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    (OP)
    I wasn't concerned so much about the pins being bent, although maybe I should have, but what I was trying to describe was those four plastic parts that are for securing it to the motherboard, of the four there is one that is damaged to the point where I probably can't remove the cpu without damaging the plastic part further (read: clip it off or melt it off) Im not really looking to do that just yet though bc of the risk involved in damaging part of the motherboard that surrounds the plastic.

Hm. Also I built it and Ive been running it, I previously ran into some trouble and was just recently able to get an OS running on it again. But the trouble is similar, which is why I originally thought it was hardware related, its only running for about 10-20minutes before freezing. I say "previously" and "in the past" because it has been a long time but the computer itself hasnt ever been completely functional. In the mean time, Ill be straightening that stuff with the cpu out then check the pins and clean it, apply a new layer of thermal paste, and then remount it. But I've got a migraine so Im gonna lay down for a while

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    For the migraines talk to your Doctor about Midrin for relief and Atenolol for prevention.

Again, what is the faulting file (if there is one) and what is the error code shown on the BSOD? So far all you said is "help me". Help can't be provided without some clue as to what's going on. And for me in this case, that's data displayed on the BSOD.

Maybe someone else can take what you've posted and offer help on why your computer is crashing. But it's obviously not me so I'm going to yield to others.

Good luck.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    lines usually is ram connection is bad.. clean ram gold pins with eraser.

9. turturikaboy

turturikaboy MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    @ LatinMcG : Hi, I've posted you PM about my problem... Could you check your inbox, please?

10. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    Ok, I've got M4600A01.EXE_decompressed HDR file!!! Finally! What is the next step? Should I rename this file or leave it as originally created?
    I've tried with this file
    and it doesn't work:(

11. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
  12. andreycobra

andreycobra MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2013
    Try to swap RAM Places and clean them .

13. irmaZ21

irmaZ21 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    whether you have a bios update asus K40IN?
    I need to update,
    I always had Blue Screens of the day to day and every new purchase though,
    do i need to partition the hard drive to prevent damage to propagate?