Bluetooth stopped working and just disappeared.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JonL23, Dec 22, 2018.

1. JonL23

JonL23 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016
  2. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    maybe the BT card is defective ? try remove it and put it agan in the slot.

3. JonL23

JonL23 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016
    #3 JonL23, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    (OP)
    My PC just likes to mess with my head it think. I booted in BIOS to see if their was any BT settings found nothing rebooted and bam BT is working. I don't understand i rebooted like 5 times today and now it works. lol

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    and u had us thinking u actually had a real problem ;)

5. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    then maybe is a BIOS bug, try to update your mainboard BIOS.

6. Doppa

Doppa MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    I know this thread is a bit old but this is almost identical to my problem. I have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop which I upgraded from Win 7 to 10 but rarely used as I preferred my Dell Win 7 laptop. I hadn't even noticed that bluetooth had disappeared on the HP until after the last 1909 update and I needed to use it. Like the OP I have no mention of bluetooth in the device manager, no tab in notification bar, no on/off in settings and the troubleshooter says the device has no bluetooth. Well it did have, but where's it gone?

I was hoping that some kind person on here would be able to tell me what's happened and/or how I can fix it please?

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May the users should keep in mind that in most Laptops the Bluetooth is part of the WiFi Card, which is a Mini PCI Card in its own socket. By older machines or those used in high humidity the contact-feets maybe get oxidized a bit and need to be cleaned, which id one using a soft pencil rubber and alcohol. so, take out that WiFi Mini PCI Card and clean the contact feet. Be careful with the 2 very small Antenna Connectors, they're not so easy to replace in case they're broke!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Doppa

Doppa MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    Thanks but I'm not confident enough to delve inside the laptop. I vaguely remember it disappeared before but I don't know what I did to get it back.

9. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    You don't have to take your laptop apart. The WiFi card is most likely under the service panel on the bottom of the laptop.

10. Doppa

Doppa MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    Thanks for your advice. I may have a look if I'm feeling brave.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I had on my mother board a lost bluetooth after inspection it came loose tightend the screws and it was fixed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Doppa

Doppa MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    I was thinking about using a spare bluetooth dongle instead. I'm still convinced it's a Windows update problem though. I can't say when it happened though because I haven't used it much until recently.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Had you also tried the use of the Key Combi to start Bluetooth manually?

On my Acer Laptop, I've to use the Fn Key, located on the lower part beside the left Ctrl key and the F3 Key (which has the WiFi sign) together for about 3-5sec! Different Brand could have a different F-Key, Acer is F3!

But most of the time I'd to repair such Bluetooth problems, it was just because of slightly oxidize of the connector feet of the WiFi Adaptor! Never had a 'burned' WiFi Combi Card!! Just a simple Pencil Rubber is the best to clean up those connector feet! The same applies to clean u-p the connector feet of Memory Modules too!