Bogus emails and unauthorized attempted access.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jetjock, Jun 29, 2012.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try. Please let me know if it's the wrong forum.

My sister's email address has been hijacked and I and others have been getting those wonderful emails with no subject and just a link or message to the effect of "Check this out" with a link. I've had her change her address and ask everyone in her address book to always use bcc; never cc. Are there any other ways to protect against this kind of hijacking?

I don't know if this is related or not, but she has also been getting numerous Malwarbytes notifications of blockage of attempted access to her computer. Ran a total scan of her machine and it checked out clean. Is there anything that can be done to stop these attempts? Keep in mind she is 75 and very computer illiterate, but if it's not too complicated I can set it up via TeamViewer. Thanks.

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #2 im bored, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    As far as the email portion goes all you had to do is get her to change her password.

And as far a windows goes check out Malwarebytes do a scan and see what it finds. Also what antivirus is she using?
    I have been using Avast for yeas they have a free version.
    Also looking through Add Remove Programs and uninstalling useless junk could clean some of it off.

And if a new Antivirus, and Maleware remover doesn't help than cleanest and safest way is to just do a fresh windows install.

3. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    #3 jetjock, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...