Boot Camp - Macbook

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Zukariji, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Okay, so I've been running Windows 8 7850 on my Macbook for a while now, and it runs great. But I'd really like to actually use the Boot Camp setup file on the disc so I have access to the hotkeys (eg volume changer, brightness adjuster, etc). I can install the drivers manually and everything works, but I can't enable the hotkeys like I'd be able to on 7 just by running the setup file which automatically installs everything.

I've heard someone made a workaround for the Windows 7 beta, is it possible to do the same here? I've tried running in multiple compatibility settings (Win XP, Win Vista + SPs, Win 7), editing the MSI, etc

2. PlainDickhead

PlainDickhead MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    It's pretty easy.
    You need to copy the bootcamp stuff from the DVD to your HD.. Afterwards you need to install Microsoft Orca.
    Once you did all that, open the /Apple folder inside, and modify the Bootcamp installer (either 32 - or 64 bit, whichever you need) using Orca. You only need to remove the LaunchConditions.. Once you did that, save the setup and run it in compatibility mode. :D

3. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Aw dude, cheers. I'll try this in a second =D

4. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Did exactly what you said - get Orca, remove LaunchConditions table... ran in compatibility mode aaand... still didn't work.

image attached. It says Boot Camp encountered an error before it could be configured or something.

Attached Files:

5. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    #5 Zukariji, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    (OP)
    UPDATE =D

For others having this problem (if there are any), I have finally managed to solve the issue ^^

I don't know if you have to remove LaunchCondition, but this time round that isn't the main problem. The problem is the Boot Camp installer (msi file) tries to get information on the system used. It's the command GetIntelGRXID. Edit the MSI with Orca and try finding the request GetIntelGRXID(by pressing Ctrl+F and searching for it that way) and delete that particular part of the table. Then it'll install with no problems!

I can't believe I managed to figure this one out myself =p Good old msiexec error logging options <3

If this issue isn't affecting you it's probably different hardware configurations, I guess. I'm using a Macbook Mid-2010 model whose disc comes with Boot Camp 3.0 (or 3.1, I forget).

6. noranbo

noranbo MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2011
    Hello i was just wondering if any of you could upload the modified 64 bit boot camp file or is there an alternative to Orca that will work on Mac as i don't have windows installed on my macbook and do not want to install windows 7 then windows 8?

Thanks,

Eamon

7. sconstantine

sconstantine MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2011
    Huge thanks to Zukariji for digging through the MSI trace logs to find the workaround the fix worked for me! My upgrade was from Boot Camp v3.2 on Win7 x64 to BC v4.0.4033 (from OS X 10.7 Lion)

Here's a copy of the modded file as requested by noranbo:

h t t p : / / w w w . m e d i a f i r e . c o m /file/j4gtud187nmna6r/BootCamp64.msi

(sorry for having to leave munch up the URL with spaces in the above link; MDL won't let new members post links, which is ironic as the only reason I registered was because of this awesome post and wanting to share the success)

8. Linux4ever

Linux4ever MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2008
    If you run the setup.exe in bootcamp found and run it in windows 7 mode you don't need to edit any files and everything installs perfectly on my MacBook Pro Mid 2010.