Boot Option Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mishtag, Mar 22, 2016.

1. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi, my computer original OS is win10, but I have added win7 on another HD, and now I have the black boot option menu which I think came from win7, so how I can change it to win10 boot option menu (the blue screen)? Thanks in advance,

2. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    This happened because Windows 7 installed it's version of the Windows Boot Manager on your Active/System Reserved/EFI System Partition. Easiest way to resolve this is to boot to Windows 10 and run "BCDBoot c:\windows" from an Administrator Level Command Prompt to fix that.

3. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    #3 mishtag, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks agent268, but would you please provide an instructions, like I first go to the command prompt, then type BCDBoot c:\windows, then what would happen?

4. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    You need to rebuild the BCD.

Suggested way of adding previous OS's is to start with the oldest first so the BCD is updated with each new OS.

Try rebuilding with EasyBCD.

5. agent268

Feb 20, 2012
    #5 agent268, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Here is a step by step that will launch an Admin Level Command Prompt and execute the command.

1. Boot your PC to Windows 10 and log in
    2. Press Windows Key + X to launch the Windows Power User Menu/WinXMenu, then immediately press A to select Command Prompt (Admin) from that menu
    3. Press Alt + Y to accept the UAC prompt
    4. Type the following command in to the Command Prompt window: bcdboot c:\windows
    5. Press enter to execute the command
    6. Exit Command Prompt and reboot the PC.

It's not just a BCD issue, it's the actual Windows Boot Manager files too. Installing Windows 7 AFTER installing Windows 10 would place the Windows 7 version of the Windows Boot Manager on the Active/System Reserved/EFI System Partition then add itself as a boot entry in the existing BCD.

BCDBoot not only updates the BCD but also copies over the Windows Boot Manager of the OS you specify, In this case, running it in Windows 10 and pointing it to the Windows 10 installation (e.g. c:\windows) will result in placing the proper updated Windows Boot Manager.

I haven't used EasyBCD in a long time, but I am fairly certain it's simply a GUI that modifies a BCD. So like a GUI version of BCDEdit.

6. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Thank you both, and I will try first the instructions from agent268, and then if it didn't work (because of me not the instructions), then I will try the EasyBCD suggested by IAmTheDude.

7. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    In windows 10 I pressed the Windows key & "R" key on keyboard & in the "Run" menu typed in msconfig
    Clicked on the "Boot" tab & there is a list of the OSs on this PC.
    (I saw this but didn't change mine) Select the OS one wants to boot from & choose the "set as default button.

After saving you may have to restart the PC.

8. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    MrG, your instructions is good to choose which OS to start with (the default), which could be done from different choices, but my question is different, see my first post.

9. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Ya, I read all the posts here..

On my machine when I change the default boot menu it changes to the one w7 one if I choose W7 as the default & the "New" boot menu if I choose W8-10 as the default.
    I assumed your machine would be the same?

I do use DBP 1.1 as my BCD registry mod.

*I just thought it would make your life easier is why I suggested trying my route :)

10. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    bootrec/rebuild

11. agent268

Feb 20, 2012
    I would not recommend doing that as it actually rebuilds a default BCD from within that command itself rather than using the OS specific template like BCDBoot does. It also will not preserve any OEM or WinRE BCD entries on top of not replacing or updating the Windows Boot Manager. Oh, it also isn't UEFI friendly either.

In other words, it can do more harm than good for the average user and should only be used as a last resort in a recovery scenario where said user also knows how to rebuild any OEM or WinRE entry points in a BCD and how to replace the Windows Boot Manager.

With all that being said, a lot of people do not know of these shortcomings with Bootrec. Hopefully the above can help out in that area.

12. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    still could use bootrec\ ? see what options you've got then

13. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    The instructions from agent268 worked great, and it was so simple.

MrG, I followed the instructions while I was in win10 and now I have the win10 boot option (the blue screen) which is what I needed.