[Boot Problem] Windows 8 boot entry black screen.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BlackThePrep, Jul 8, 2015.

1. BlackThePrep

BlackThePrep MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2015
    So, I own an old Pentium 4 machine, which doesn't support NX bit. I really want to install Windows 8 on this machine, and I found @Jan1's CPU feature patch. Everything went fine, until I actually tried to boot into extracted installation from install.wim. Through EasyBCD I've added Windows 8 entry to bootloader, but, when I choose the entry, or press F8, screen just goes black and nothing happens. it can sit like that for hours. Maybe someone knows, what's the problem with it?

2. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Just a wild guess, maybe the BCD is pointing to the wrong location for the boot files.

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    If you installed as UEFI, then the path should read Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi.
    If you installed as MBR, then the path should read Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I can't understand, what should be happen, if you have Windows 8 and you press F8?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BlackThePrep

BlackThePrep MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2015
    #5 BlackThePrep, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    (OP)
    I've got Windows 7 bootloader, and when I choose Windows 8 entry and press F8, the screen just goes black, HDD indicator flashes a few times, and then, nothing happens.

Windows 8 is located at E: drive. In BCD, this is the entry of Windows 8 -

Entry #1Name: Windows 8
    BCD ID: {default}
    Drive: E:\
    Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Everything with the bootloader seems to be fine... And no, I don't have an UEFI bios.

6. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Are you trying to dual boot 7 & 8? Insert the windows 7 DVD and choose repair. Sounds like the BCD isn't correct.

Why are you pressing F8 on the Windows 8 entry?