Boot time Server 2012 R2 generation 2 secure boot in Hyper-V 2012 R2 bare metal

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by applegate, Dec 30, 2013.

1. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #2 sebus, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Still does not change my opinion that while Hyper-V hypervisor itself might be acceptable, all the management tools that come with it (with the highest end SC VMM 2012 R2) are just poor man substitute as far as Vmware vSphere is concerned!

Basically all in all c**p, but cheap if one already has legit Datacenter 2012 R2 licence & it is full MS shop only (forget any non standard Linux distro & even with standard ones it is only generation 1, even Linux supported UEFI WAY before Windows knew what it means!)

And then the s**t (no)way of V2V or P2V. Almost like MS never heard of Vmware Converter (and could not make one like that for themselves)

Half-baked product unfit for consumption

sebus

3. sjaak327

sjaak327 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    #3 sjaak327, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Oh boy. Stating hyper-v isn't fit for consumption either means you are not allowed into the datacenter or that you have some sort of agenda. I run both, and prefer hyper-v. In fact for Linux hosting, hyper-v is the obvious choice, all the features (including clustering) free of charge.

I still have a few vmware clusters and they are going to be replaced the minute the support ends. The feature set is better, and the costs a lot lower. Vmm is a fine tool to manage it, allthough nowadays I simply use PowerShell.
    By the way, conversions are perfectly possible, and any Linux distro with kernel 3 runs fine, as hyper-v drivers are included in the kernel. The 2.6 systems such as RH or CentOS also run with integration tools,

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Management tools are c**p, no matter what anybody else says. Every step is either impossible or require extra steps to be taken to get it working (either rights, AD config, VM config or something else)
    After few times it does get boring.

Try to run (fresh or convert) SLES 10 SP4 (something that is still a must for me), or NetWare (yes, still works after all these years). NO GO.

Or try to convert existing CentOS 5 or 6

Or even Windows 7 VM after conversion (with VMM 2012 R2) is a problem (VMware tools do NOT get removed)

To me all of these constitute half-baked solution that is NOT enterprise ready.

Like buying $25K car that does not have aircon, only 5 gears, metal wheels and only travels well on motorways & A roads (but could never be used on B road). But it DOES work.

Oh, Hyper-V is not free, you do pay big bucks for Datacenter edition.

But anybody is entitled to they own opinion. After all it is your money...

sebus

5. sjaak327

sjaak327 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Netware ? It will run on hyper-v if you want it to, but to be honest, I would not think of one reason why one would want to, it is beyond dead.

I have ran Centos on hyper-v for years, never had a single problem. Converted CentOS 5 from VMWare to hyper-v a few years back, it wasn't all that difficult really, allthough I didn't use VMM for this.

And yes Hyper-v IS free. There is a free version of Hyper-v, (can't link because of post limit, but I'm sure you'll find it).

People that buy datacenter are the ones that run multiple Windows vm's as that way, they only need to license the host. For Linux VM's you would rather use the free version, also because other than VMWare, all the cluster related features, all the management features are not stripped out. The free hyper-v version offers all the features of the non free hyper-v version minus Windows related stuff (like a gui) and minus the vm licensing.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #6 sebus, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    I see you have no idea what you talking about. Honestly. If you make NetWare and/or SLES 10 SP3/4 run on HV 2012 R2 then you would be first, Good luck to you! But unless you have something good to say...

7. spice_weasel

spice_weasel MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    Not saying that it IS possible, but Microsoft lists SLES SP4 as a supported OS for Hyper-V.
    hxxp://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc794868(WS.10).aspx