Boot Windows 7 64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zam, May 6, 2009.

1. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    Trying to boot windows 7rc 64 on a second hard drive but receive this message: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccesible. Have windows vista 32 on first drive. Had windows 7 7100 32 on second drive and it worked ok. Formated before trying to install again.

2. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    If you fresh install x64 and format the partition , boot manager should pick up the 64bit partition. Otherwise try using EasyBCD to sort out the boot sequence.

I have Vista x32 = disk 1 Win7 x64 = disk 3 . no problem boot to either OS!

3. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    windows 7 64

Here is the message I get.

Attached Files:

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    cross platform (x86 to x64 and vise-versa) upgrades are not supported nor will a 64-bit installer run a 32-bit OS. If you want to run both, unplug your first hard drive, boot off the CD and install the OS on your second hard drive. The reason I say unplug is that this way it will install a boot loader on the second drive so when you are done with your Windows 7 install or Windows Vista install there are not extra entries or stuff to clean up in the boot loader.

5. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    windows 7 64

When I boot with only second drive conected I get: Reboot and select proper boot device. In bios it says 32 bit on both hard drives. Is this what it is supposed to be.

6. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Are you using a SLIC hardmode or softmode to boot your OS ?

I have tried both SLIC and softmode to dual boot Visat SP1/ win 7 and VistaSp2 / Win7 with no issue.

OK. this is what I did initially before Update bios SLIC and using with softmode only.

HDisk1 = 750G (3 partitions) HDisk2 = 750G (3 partitions) Hdisk3 =500G (3 partition.

Install VistaSp2x86 Hdisk 1 >> partiton 1 then used MS Windows Vista Developer Activation make it genuine.

Next install Win7x64 RC7100 on >>format HDISK3 partition 1

Win 7 jsut pick up the boot sequence. no problem.

later updated my bios using SLIC and I reinstalled the OS the boot sequence is exactly the same as using the softmode.

Since then I have formatted HDisk3 partition 1 and install VistaSP2 x64
    'cause I find out VistaSP2 is slightly faster and I like the dreamscence option!!

7. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    windows 7 64

When I boot into my second drive I get: BOOTMGR is missing

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    you get that message because the boot loader is not on that drive and is there even an OS on that drive? If you have an OS on that drive and want to have the boot loader on it then unplug your primary drive and just put in your Windows 7 disk and select repair my computer and it should repair it for you automatically.

9. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    Boot

I have to go away for 1 week so will try to download a new program when I get back and I will let you know how that works. I have attached a picture of my system.

Attached Files:

10. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    Boot

bought dvd-r and it worked. Was using dvd+r which did not work. Now I am having trouble finding drivers for Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter model WUSB300N.

11. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    use the vista drivers on Linksys's site or keep the device plugged in and check windows update.

12. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    wait im having this same issue with a dual boot 32 vista and 64 bit win 7.. so are you saying just by switching media it worked?? or did you still have to remove one drive for it to work right?? more info please

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. zam

zam MDL Novice

May 6, 2009
    Boot

My install disk that came with Linksys WUSB300N wireless adapter did not work for windows 7 64 bit so I downloaded drivers from Linksys site and it works now.
    Thanks for all the help everyone.