Bootable Copy with Acronis (?)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    (Unless there is a better alternative,) I want to use Acronis to make a bootable USB stick copy of C: in case I need/want to re-install Win 7.

What is the correct procedure? I tried before but the result wasnothing that actually works.
    I just clean installed Win 7 plus the rest on new SSD on my old laptop, and before anything can happen, this time I want make that copy..

Thank You, TM

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The way I use acronis is to use a bootable form of the software to make and access the image when it's needed. Meaning you never actually install the software and you can do incremental s if you want but you always boot to the software before the OS boots.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, but that is what I do not want, I want a complete installation.
    Right now it is totally clean, no unwanted software or PuP...

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Acronis is meant to create a system image at a particular instant. It's in fact better than a clean installer, because you can create the image of a full, working system, including all tweaks you performed and programs you installed. It thus saves you from reinstalling.

But if you want a clean install, then create the image of a newly installed system. I did that just in case, but I doubt if I'll use it, as I have subsequent images, as above.

5. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Ive always used Seagate and WD's versions of Acronis and never had a problem with disc cloning. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank You, that was what I wanted to know.

I completely uninstalled Acronis, downloaded again and this time the cloning worked. I now have my bootable on ana external USB drive.
    When needed, I plug this into the USB and boot from it? There will then be instructions how to actually install it to C: ,the SSD inside the computer?
    And second question: Will it wipe the SSD before installing?

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, but my point was, I only new-install, when the installed OS no longer works properly, because something has messed it up. So a "a system image at that particular instant" is exactly what I do not want. In the last nine years this has happened twice. It did not kill me to install from scratch, but if Acronis exists, why not use it next time?

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    It takes so little time to reinstall Windows having a backup is unnecessary. I definitely keep Windows on a different drive than all the rest of my files, and I do back up my most important to OneDrive. I also have a folder containing all my programs which I keep up-to-date, and all my customizations. I simply run a command file as administrator, and sit back while everything installs. Life is good! I also have an OS installed as a VHD on my drive so I can boot into that should anything go wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Are you for real? It might take 10 minutes to reinstall Windows, but installing all drivers, software and configuring Windows takes time. And when you restore Windows from a backup you can re use the browser cookies and be logged in to all websites without having to re type passwords.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This reflects my views. And I'd even add two more points:
    (a) The image will also include all updates. Apart from delay and restarts, some of them have been known to stick during installation.
    (b) Some valuable programs may have been free limited time offers, which have expired.

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My friend, you didn't get my point. You don't create the image after the trouble starts, but when all is working smoothly. You then keep this image for the hour of need.

12. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Exactly Katz, instal os, get it all tweaked etc, programs, when you happy its all running perfectly, then image it. :)

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It takes about 15 hours to completely rebuild my music system from scratch, with Native Instruments Komplete 9 ultimate taking the most time.
    Not to mention the need for an internet connection.

So, imaging your system in a working state is the best way to go.

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yup... that is exactly why I asked...

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    You wrote: "Acronis is meant to create a system image at a particular instant. "

So, a minute before the problems arises, I create a system image. So you see, the point I do not get?
    But it reminded me of a great joke.

The Boss asks his servant to wake him at 5 o'clock, but the servant tells him, he cannot read the clock.
    "It is easy, you that the cock crows at 6 o'clock. So you simply wake me one hour before that."

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    What I was trying to explain to you above was if on your laptop you have a working cd/dvd drive you put a bootable form of acronis software on a disk. Then set your bios to boot from the cd/dvd drive with your USB stick in a USB port . You will then boot to the acronis software that is on the disk in the drive.
    1) create "Acronis secure zone" by pointing to the USB drive
    2) Now create your 1st initial full backup in the "Acronis secure zone" you created on the USB drive
    3) From here you can do incremental backups any time you want by putting in your acronis boot disk with your "Acronis secure zone" USB stick in place.

The advantages of doing it this way is you don't have to install the Acronis software therefore no license is required. Also you avoid any screw ups that can happen with the boot order that can happen when you install the Acronis software. The other advantage is when you do incremental backups is that if you by some reason have installed something that you don't like or screws up your install you can go back to the previous incremental backup and your good. This works flawlessly and is as simple as it gets.

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, I do have Acronis software, which allows me to clone, my question is between your 1) and the sentence before that.
    I have the Acronis to have a boot choice, I have 60GB clone of the old installation. I can run the computer from that disc, my question is, how do I install the clone over the old installation? Because that saves me the hours it takes to re-install all the software I use, to add the 700 updsates from Simplex since SP1 and transfer Firefo profile and a dozen other little things.

I have a clone on a USB storage. How do I run AND install to the SSD, where the faulty installation is/has been? Will the Acronis software tell me? It may have been my mistake, I could not find that, when I tried to install a clone a few years ago, when I tried that first. I do not know....

18. pavve

pavve MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2016
    #18 pavve, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    best way to test and learn is:
    1. make a small dummy partition on your computer
    2. put few small files there
    3. make a backup
    4. restore
    5. check if OK
    edit
    some recommend small video file for that purpouse

19. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry for being late...

You are still misunderstanding. I have no problem with backing up. My problem is from the very first post, that I want make a bootable disc clone, that can be clean installed on my SSD from a 64GB USB stick, if needed...

20. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I describe the procedure:

Acronis will guide you to create a bootable CD of the tool.
    You boot your PC from this CD and follow the instructions to create an ISO of your entire system partition. You save this on an external USB drive or a large enough USB stick. You create this ISO while your system is healthy.

If your system later develops problems, you boot from the same CD and follow the instructions to replace the entire problematic system partition with your previously saved ISO image. This way you get a fully healthy system, as it was when you made the ISO.

I hope this helps.