Bootable ISO already with RUFUS 1.4.5

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by carmz, Mar 15, 2014.

1. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi,I just want to ask, I have already bootable ISO w8,then I want to have bootable w8 in my USB,now is it okay to use rufus 1.4.5 and this bootable ISO ?does this will not produce errors in installing the O.S to my P.C?And also what is normally to be selected in "Partition scheme and target system type"...I really don't know what those 3 options mean.but i just always select the option "MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI computers"...

please help me.

Thank you in advance.

2. hellowasif

hellowasif Guest

Yes u can use rufus and bootable ISO to create bootable setup... and the error depends on which ISO r u using is it pirated or from MDL??? It depends on which PC u r going to install if it is UEFI based than select uefi and if not than only select MBR as simple as that ...!!!

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI, for Windows Discs would be BIOS (Legacy) boot mode.
    GPT partition scheme for UEFI would be for UEFI boot mode.

You need to choose the correct one depending on how you plan to run your computer because choosing the wrong one, will not boot as it does the bootsect stuff.

5. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    For AIO with more than 5 GB, creating a bootable USB stick with Rufus doesn´t work. But I tested my AIO (7.5 GB) with Ultraiso (bootable USB Stick) and worked.

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    It would only fail if you attempt to format it to Fat32 for UEFI booting (4GB filesize -Not ISO size- limit)
    For MBR partitioned legacy (BIOS booting) it uses NTFS by default, though you could also use ExFat for this method.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    So you are saying by just selecting exFAT filesystem, GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer method in Rufus can be used on any scenario flawlessly when having a larger than 4GB wim file?

8. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    No. UEFI is still FAT32. ExFAT is legacy BIOS/MBR-compatible, but what's the point if you could just use NTFS in that case anyway.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #9 Mr.X, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Right, I was re-reading murphy78's post and I misunderstood the point. Now I got it. Thanks.
    Somewhere, don't ask me where cause I don't remember though, read about a trick with two USB pendrives, booting one with fat32 filesystem/all Windows 8.1 files to boot the installer (with no wim file) and the other one with NTFS and the large wim file...

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    What enigma said. All non-cd/dvd/blu-ray/hddvd type of drives have to boot fat32 for UEFI booting.
    It becomes a pain in the ass because it's very difficult to partition a USB flash drive.
    There are various scripts and loaders out there that can load the ntfs loader after booting and then subsequently read and install from an ntfs partition, but since it's very difficult to partition usb flash drives, it requires a lot of tweaking.

The basic method a lot of people use is to create dummy partitions to fool the OS into thinking it's a regular hard drive. There is also a method where you load a different system driver that allows usb multi-partitioning.

The summary is, you basically need to do some custom stuff or just use fat32 for UEFI booting.
    Bios (legacy) booting doesn't care. You can use pretty much any file system for that.

11. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I think my board cannot support UEFI because when i go to my bios it is not grpahical interface...so which one should i select the option?

Thank you in advance.