Bootcamp, Win 7, and Windows Loader Blues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by geonjay, Jun 28, 2012.

1. geonjay

geonjay MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2012
    I've tried reading through all of these threads and I'm pretty sure this hasn't been answered yet. I'm having the same problems that kiddosr was having in the forums back in Jan of 2011 (I'm new so I can't post a link yet) I have a 2006 Mac Pro - 32bit EFI. I have 4 drives and am attempting to Boot Camp Windows 7 onto the non-OSX system disk. All drives are 500G and use GPT partition table (I can't dedicate one to Windows yet) 1) I had to re-burn the Win 7 disk because of my Mac's inability to see multiple partitions on the install DVD. no problem 2) Windows 7 wouldn't install - I had to pull all of the drives except for the destination drive - no problem 3) Win 7 loads, it's pretty. I run WinLoader 2.1.5, go with the default values and install. No errors, so I reboot. 4) Here's the problem - I get the good ol' grub error screen and the "Boot Failed" message. I've tried various combinations of the Boot Loader options and they just don't seem to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. geonjay

geonjay MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2012
    and in the last 5 minutes I've managed to F with disk utility and mess with my partition table JUST ENOUGH to prevent BootCamp assistant from recognizing enough space on the drive for a Windows Installation. I'm trying to get it back now and I'll try the grub commands. Thanks!

4. geonjay

geonjay MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2012
    Well...good news and bad news. I finally got enough free space on my 2nd drive for BootCamp to agree to install Win7. Got Win7 setup, DL'd WinLoader, ran it with no special options enabled and chose "Dell" everything. Rebooted with no problem. I've been wrestling with this stupid thing for 2 days and I've reinstalled Win7 4 times...for whatever reason it's working. If it messes up again I'll try to for GRUB to use my specific partition and we'll see if it works. Thanks a lot!! please keep up the good work