Booting from Windows 8 Release Preview DVD - error!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kerimcem, Jun 1, 2012.

1. kerimcem

kerimcem MDL Member

Nov 19, 2007
    #1 kerimcem, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. hanny

hanny MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi All,

I was excited when Win8 RP was released a couple of days ago, and I did download the official http link from microsoft. After making the ISO USB ootable, I began to install on my Desktop and Laptop. After all the initial steps went well, I formatted the C drive and at copying the files
    the installation got stuck at 5% with the below shown Error. I have re-downloaded the ISO from microsoft, but the same problem persists. While downloading with IDM, there were a couple of power cuts and the download was resumed. This happened on both attempts.
    Please find me a solution, and help me in installing the Win8 RP ASAP- Thanks

Attached Files:

3. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    first off all you need to check if the checksum of your download matches the one found at the DL page

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I assume you haven't tried burning the ISO to a DVD and install with that?
    Sometimes it's just easier installing with a disc instead of a USB device.

5. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I already think he have tried with that, it sounds like it anyway.

I think a good ol' DVD will make the trick. I burned my ISO to a DVD and it installed perfectly.
    I think it's a bigger chance for things to get corrupted with USB devices, but that's just me talking.

6. Astrogoth

Astrogoth MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2011
    I notice 4 errors again. I saw that too, using the compat-installer method.

Are you using activation perhaps?

7. kerimcem

kerimcem MDL Member

Nov 19, 2007
  8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Just upgrade CPU and leave the last decade behind you. Pentium 4 isn't much use to anyone these days when applications and programs become more and more CPU hungry.
    Go with a nice Sandy or Ivy Bridge and enjoy the show.

2012, it's time to bury that old P4 son!

9. kerimcem

kerimcem MDL Member

Nov 19, 2007
    win8rtm same:tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

10. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
  11. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
  12. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
  13. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    Got an old CPU without NX bit, changing nx to AlwaysOff in the BCD for windows setup gets me to the same error. Has anyone discovered any workarounds for getting Windows 8 working on an old CPU? (In my case, Athlon XP 2500+, for which Windows 7 runs fine)

14. upfreak93

upfreak93 MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2012
    I don't remember the last time i bought a dvdo_O. Anyways, did you try to download, mount then install ?

15. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    #18 disc4, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    I tried to run setup inside windows, but it wont let you continue without a nx bit CPU. However, the WinPE installer in sources/setup.exe doesn't check this and lets you go. On the first reboot, when "Windows Setup" is added to the bootloader, is where I'm getting stuck on error 0x0000005D.

(When I try to boot from the DVD, it fails with error 5, but this is because of an issue with older MSI and ASrock motherboards and exists in Windows 7. The trick to launch setup from the vista bootloader or with UBCD no longer works, but I can get into a previous windows install and launch sources\setup.exe)