Booting physically installed Windows in VirtualBox (raw disk access, no converting)

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Lauscher, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Lauscher

Lauscher MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2015
    #1 Lauscher, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello,

I wrote a german tutorial about booting a physical installed Windows XP/Vista/7 in VirtualBox (within Ubuntu) using raw disk access. The virtual hardware is modified, so there is no new activation necessary. The tutorial works fine for systems with legacy BIOS. You can find the tutorial here:
    Code:
    www (dot) wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Dualboot-Windows_virtualisieren
    With this tutorial, it is possible to boot the same Windows installation either in dualboot or in VirtualBox (in my case, in Ubuntu).

Now I am working on a new tutorial to boot a physical installed Windows 8/8.1 on UEFI-Systems in VirtualBox. You can find the untested version here:
    Code:
    www (dot) wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Baustelle/Dualboot-Windows_virtualisieren_-_Weiterentwicklung_f%C3%BCr_UEFI_und_Windows_8
    I have an old 32-bit-computer with 1GB RAM, so I cannot test and develop the new tutorial on my own. I don't have UEFI, I don't have a registered Windows 8/8.1 und I don't have a 64bit-CPU. So I want to ask you, the members of MDL, if anyone of you would like to test the new tutorial and help me to develop it?

In the thread "Implement poduct key into bios MSDM table of VMWare" I found some interesting details about Windows 8 product activation, and I see, in this forum there are the right people to check those things out. So I came here, registered myself and created this thread.

Sorry, I could not make working links because I have not enough posts in this forum. EDIT: Maybe someone would be nice and can post a reply with working links?

Edit: As a help for those who have difficulties with the german language (as myself with english ...;)), translation pages by google:

Already working tutorial for lagacy BIOS systems (XP/Vista/7 and non-Windows):
    Code:
    www (dot) translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.ubuntuusers.de%2FDualboot-Windows_virtualisieren&sandbox=1
    Tutorial for UEFI and Windows 8 (in development, I need your help):
    Code:
    www (dot) translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.ubuntuusers.de%2FBaustelle%2FDualboot-Windows_virtualisieren_-_Weiterentwicklung_f%25C3%25BCr_UEFI_und_Windows_8&sandbox=1
    Greetings, Lauscher