Booting Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ScrabbleDaddy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Installed 7 ultimate 35 days ago and ran the WAT remover. No problems until after I installed an update today (mal. software removal tool)which required a restart, which it did. However now my PC wont boot off the HD unless I enter the bios boot menu and tell it to. Then I have no problems. Think the is a connection to the update? I also installed Spyware Dr and Tracks Eraser today. Thanks PS A newbee here.

2. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    mhm, i don´t know what you exacly mean ...

What you doing in the bios? Changing the Bootpriority? (C:CDROM.ect?)

Maybe you didn´t save the settings in bios?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Stick to loader or biosmod! WAT remover is the culprit, no connection to malicious removal tool.

Did you save before exiting bios? Do you have any usb flash drive in one of your usb ports?

4. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    #4 ScrabbleDaddy, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    (OP)
    Boot Prob.

When I boot my PC I have an F12 option to bring up a Boot Selection Screen if needed. Normally I don't have to do this. However now, the first thing that appears on my screen are the words "Reading DMI pool, and then it locks up. If I use the F12 option before this screen appears, and choose Hard Drive (over CD) it boots fine. (I am also using an encrypted USB HD (Tru Crypt) but have never had any interference with this)

5. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    mhm, this is strange!

Try to set the bootpriority in the BIOS (like C:D:A)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Did you leave a floppydisk in the drive? CD/DVD? USB stick left plugged in?

7. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    That's what I was telling him.

Unplug any flash drives from your mobo!

8. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Even Stranger

Tried all the suggestions to no avail. I did find out that when I brought up my boot option screen that I could hit ESC without even making a choice and it boots ok, but I have to bring up the screen.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    First try to uninstall the two apps you installed, to see if one of them isn't causing this.

If not solved then, try a different loader or a bios mod.

It could very well be the combination of removeWAT and the Malicious Soft Remover update. RemoveWAT does have some unresolved issues, so better to use a different method of activation.

10. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks, and A question on System Restore

Thanks. I think if I started over again from scratch and used a loader all would be fine. Another Question. I have never had System Restore work for me, not with Vista and not with Win7 From the beginning I have had Norton Internet Security installed, But I have disabled all I can find to disable in it and still I can't get Sys Restr to work. Any ideas? Thanks

11. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Well, I don't think RemoveWAT would cause booting issues, nor would a malicious removal tool. Don't bash my work without knowing how it works kukubau

12. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Boot Probs.

Bieng disabled and having lots of time on my hands, I decided to start all over again from scratch. Repartitioned my HD, installed Vista basic>wouldn't boot, installed Vista HP>wouldn't boot. (I have a low end EMachine, 2G mem) Installed Win 7 Ultimate which in_turn it installed Win Boot Manager. (It didn't do this the first time) It would pause and ask me what Op Sys I wanted w/only 1 choice, Win 7. When I finished install I immediately removed the Wat. It booted off of the Win Boot Manager for 2 days, and now its booting on its own again!! (what happened to the boot man., I don't know!) This things flying now with no problems! I swear, I ain't drinking or drugging anything. By the way I see more comments about bad loaders in here and none about the WAT remover!