Booting recovery partition with the help of a Linux LiveCD?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IAmAPC, Aug 1, 2013.

1. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Here is the thing:

I have a Windows install image on a recovery partition but I even did not assign a drive letter to it on my main Windows system, it is just there.

I set the boot timer also to 0 seconds so I cannot select to boot from it. Now my main Windows system crashed. Is there a way to boot from the recovery image by making it bootable from a Linux LiveCD or something?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    what brand pc so i can tell u what key it is to boot the recovery.

some recoveries were able to be booted by making it active partition with gparted or some partition tool.

3. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I just made my own custom recovery partition. Thanks.

4. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info. It strangely did not work. What worked was that I completely wiped out the former Windows install partition with Fdsik in Linux and recreated it. This was the only was it did not search for a windows there and booted from the recovery. Note: I don't have separate 100 M boot partition for Windows it is included in the Windows install partition.

Ps.

1. To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 4 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

I did not post a link but had to remove your links from the quote. Clever.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    with bcdedit to add to menu ? or with gparted u could have made active your partition

6. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I can make the partition active either in Gparted or in Windows Computer Management (It was already set to bootable). Probably in Fdisk, too.

7. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    Hiren's BootCD ==> MiniXP ==> Diskpart ==> Assign Letter ==> HBCDMenu ==> GImageX ==> Apply Image ☺

8. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    First part: already present.
    Second part is not clear. How it solves my problem, what it does and how exactly to execute it?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007