Bootmgr compressed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by keng11, Feb 28, 2011.

1. keng11

keng11 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi I have windows 7 installed & I thought I would do a disk cleanup & compression to save disk space, now it won't start up & I get this message

BOOTMGR COMPRESSED
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Having done that several times to no result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ken.

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Do you have more then 1 HD connected to your PC? If you do i would try and disable the backup HD(unplug it) then try it again.

3. cibomatto2002

cibomatto2002 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Maybe this will help you :)

You may need to change the boot order(Boot from DVD) for this to work.

Repair your computer

Press F8 during boot up to get a list of all start-up options. Choose “Repair your computer”

A list of your installed OS’s will appear.

Open the command prompt

Next, simply enter the following command to fix your boot record.

/fixboot

In case your master boot record has been damaged as well, I would also run.

/fixmbr

If that doesn’t solve the problem, you can also try to run the following commands to re-create your bootmgr file. You are basically creating a temporary bootmgr file and then replacing it with the original one.

Each command has to be on a separate line.

expand bootmgr temp
    attrib bootmgr -s -r -h
    del bootmgr
    ren temp bootmgr
    attrib bootmgr -a +s +r +h

I would also recommend to uncheck the option “compress to save disk space” for each hard drive and partition. Mainly, because it can cause problems like this one and it is slowing down your PC eventually.
    Method 2: Repair bootmgr via “Startup Repair”

Theoretically, Windows 7 should be able to find and fix this error. If you click on “Startup Repair” instead of Command Prompt, then Windows will scan your system for common errors and will hopefully figure out that your bootmgr is broken.

Check disk for errors

Another error why you are receiving the “bootmgr is missing” error after installing Windows 7, might be that your hard drive has disk errors. It is always a good idea to also run the command.

chkdsk C:\ /f /r

This might take some time, depending on the size of your hard drive, but it is necessary to verify that there are no corrupted files on your disk.

4. keng11

keng11 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi thanks for all the advise. The other thing is I don't have the DVD to startup again, My computer crashed while I was In Thailand & the technician repaired it & installed Windows 7 & now I am in a problem situation.

I rang a local guy & he says he would have to reistall vista as that was the original OS that it came with.
    So basically I can't get past go.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Ken.

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 Daz, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. keng11

keng11 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    Ok thanks I will give it a try.

7. keng11

keng11 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    #7 keng11, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    (OP)
    Hello,

I have burnt recovery disk & get Systems Recovery Options window that says "use recovery tools that can help fix problems "etc.

"Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier".
    Select 1 of these options & then click on "Load Drivers" or "Next"

So now I don't know which drivers or files to use to get everything up & running again.

Location is C: Local Disk.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Ken.

8. keng11

keng11 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi thanks for your help but none of the commands were recognised by the system.
    Ken.

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    From DVD start up repair thingy -> select system image recovery -> choose second option "select image" -> click advanced button -> select install driver -> select computer - in open dialog right click the installation drive and select properties - > untick "compress this drive..."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RustyKnight

RustyKnight MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2011
    This definately works!!

I bought a HP laptop a couple of weeks ago and accidentally compressed my C drive to make space and received the dreaded BOOTMGR is compressed message. None of the above solutions worked as the command prompt doesn't recognise anything so here's the solution that really works!!

1) Put your windows CD into the drive, reboot the computer and press esc when prompted to enter menu
    2) Select BOOT options then CD/DVD and the computer will boot from the disk
    3) Select 'REPAIR'
    4) Select the LOAD DRIVERS button
    5) A window opens showing all of your drives, right click on the drive you've compressed and select PROPERTIES
    6) Uncheck 'Compress drive to increase space available'
    7) Close all the windows and restart your computer.......Hey presto!!!!

Incidentally if you want to increase the size of your main partition, download EASUS Partition Manager, the home edition is free and you simply drag your partition to any available size, it's amazingly simple ;)