bootmgr missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cush, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Cush

Cush MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi all,
    Just found ur forums and was hoping someone could help.
    I had vista on a hard drive and decided to partion it and dual boot win7.Everything seemed to go well Installed win7 and had a quick look at it then restarted and checked that I could boot vista,all worked ok.Then went to restart again and boot win7 but had error msg bootmgr missing ! I had taken the disk out of dvd drive just before closing vista.
    I did manage to get win7 on again after a few tries by bios booting hard drive,so found my way here to try get any ideas why this error happened.Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    This is a pretty common issue when dualbooting with win7, as it's bootmanager is a wee bit different compared to vista (totally different from xp).

Use EasyBCD to fix it, you can google it to find an easy guide on how it works.
    After that you're good to go again...

hope this helps ;)

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    that is kinda odd, I dual boot vista and win7 with no issues ever. It sounds like maybe your bios got confused of something. Anyway I agree, try using EasyBCD or something like that and see what happens. If worse comes to worse either get rid of vista or win7, your pic and then it will be clean.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    well, the vista bootmanager was different from xp's, and yes, also the win7 bootmanager is almost the same, but not quite...

it can cause issues when dualbooting in some worse-case scenarios. But it's very easily solved with EasyBCD or some GUI-based derivation, as it rebuilds the bootmanager...

5. Cush

Cush MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks for replyin, I'll go get easybcd and see how I go. Cheers :)

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Let us know how it went. Always nice to hear the outcome :)

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So did it work ?

just curious...:)