Botched downgrade from 8 to 7 on samsung np300e5c-a07us - now wont boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by txarmysgt, Feb 14, 2017.

1. txarmysgt

txarmysgt MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    #1 txarmysgt, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    I have a samsung NP300E5C that came with windows 8 factory. I work in an auto salvage yard and it was in a vehicle. Weird thing about it though is it has a CoreI3 sticker on the palmrest but its identified as an AMD A6-3420M APU in the BIOS which would be a different model according to samsung support. the hdd has a sticker with the same model as well. perhaps a MB replacement at some point I dont know.

I hate the layout of windows 8, so I used the MS dvdtousb tool and imaged a USB with win 7 ult sp1 x64. Deleted the partition with the windows 8 OS during the 7 install noting a recovery partition (which I left intact). the install went on without a hitch and I used the computer for about a week or so when it began to freeze juuuust as the colored segments of the windows logo start to appear over the words "starting windows".

I have to force a shutdown then it launches the repair dialogue and if i try a startup repair, it gives the dialogue for an "automatic repair" such as you would see in windows 8..... hmmm. this is never successful and it freezes at the scrolling loading files dialogue.

I should mention I am unable to boot from a burned dvd of win 7 ult x64 - I am prompted to press any key to boot from dvd but it hangs on starting windows as well.

I can access the bios setup by pressing esc which gives me the boot options menu that includes entering setup but not by f2, and it wont launch samsung recovery via f4. in fact using any of the f keys results in a black page with a blinking cursor x infinity.

I also activated windows via daz' loader although i dont recall the specific version (it was at least 2.something).

The bios version shown is 02qu Aptio setup utility 2010 AMI Samsung BIOS team U5.4 C2.11.1210

if someone could shed some light down this tunnel I would be much obliged indeed! thanks in advance!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @txarmysgt

Depending on your firmware settings, you need to enable Legacy Booting/CSM support to successfully boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode. You can also disable UEFI mode completely & boot using pure legacy method, but you need to clean the whole HDD.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    What Tito said!

Unless you're looking to save the contents of the hard drive, The best option is to disable secure boot and install Windows 7 from one of the sources listed here.
    Let it format the hard drive. If you use Windows 7 ultimate, you can use the Windows loader (Also hosted here) to "validate" the windows install.

Turn off windows updates and use the Simplix pack (also listed here) to install the latest windows updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. txarmysgt

txarmysgt MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    Thank you! My research to date points to uefi as problematic for these units shipped with windows 8. I see legacy support as a variable but no option to disable fast boot. I can manipulate boot priority to set a usb hdd atop the list but with a bootable drive in any usb port it doesnt see it in the setup utility.

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. txarmysgt

txarmysgt MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    My setup utility is a dumbed down version compared to the one depicted there. I will hook up the drive externally to another unit and copy the factory .recovery partition, then nuke it and clean install windows 7. I appreciate the input. The bowels of Brooklyn you say.... ever been to Angry Wades on smith street/bed-stuy?

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Never been there, but I used to live on Koskiusco street. Sumner is now Marcus Garvey blvd.

I grew up in Williamsburg, by the Williamsburg projects. Good memories, good times. Everybody was 'real'. And we kept it real.

That looks like a great place. :thumbsup:

Now I'm in the mood for a Bacon Cheeseburger and a beer. :D