'Bought a mini-PC to be my router - but which OS and how to configure it?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gorski, Oct 18, 2018.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1 gorski, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    pfSense is what I use, after going thru the process you are going thru, trying out different things and trying to find one that works well.

Curious why you need three network connections though. I would suggest good WiFi access point as entirely separate devices.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    haha I remember several years ago (Windows XP times) where I took an old 486 and with it made my own router and worked as a charm :D:p

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Myrrh, one needs 3 to set up the NICs properly, so one is connected to the modem and the other to the 8 port switch that sits behind it, to distribute the whole thing around the house...

So, it's as modem from the net provider to the pfSense mini PC router, to 8 LAN port switch, then to the rest of the house... I prefer cabled up connections, if I can help it.

And if not, then the pfSense mini PC router does have 2 WiFi antenae and I have a WiFi extender (plugged into an 8 LAN port switch), at the opposite part of the house.

But it;s a palaver to set it up properly, as described in the link re. "bridging"...

Mind, a new version of pfSense is now out - must check it out...

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    wow seem one big portal congrats :D:p

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I still don't get three, you mentioned purpose of two of them. Is one of the built-ins a wifi adapter? That would explain a 3rd network connection which would be the 2nd wired connection.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You must inform yourself, Myrrh. Read the link to do with bridging - then you will understand.

Today I did it again and it would not work properly (WiFi in particular) until bridging was done... Even after I added WiFi to the mix (you must do this after the installation of pfSense).

I sent the feedback to the company that made the mini PC I bought from them and how it actually works with pfSense... I really tried, tested with various tutorials. Only the one with bridging really worked properly, in every sense.

But I have not heard from them again...

Btw, after I added 5th NIC - it couldn't be shown, it was not seen by the system...

It's a bit weird but if you are patient and do it as advised - it would work...

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009