Boycott Windows Store/RunTime

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phailyoor, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Will you use Windows Store/RunTime apps?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    If the Windows Store succeeds, then MS will continue to gut the desktop and push it's disgusting, underpowered tablet UI on everyone(meaning that Win9 will be even worse). If it fails miserably, then there is a chance that MS will gain some sense and release a decent desktop/laptop operating system when Windows 9 comes out, or even in a service pack.

That means that every cent of revenue from buying Win Store apps will go towards gutting the desktop. Every free app download will reaffirm MS' insanity.

If you're a developer, please DO NOT develop for Windows 8 Store. If you're a consumer, and get windows 8 forced on you through a new computer purchase, please DO NOT use the Windows Store. Use the programs you have always used.

Tell your friends, and if you really, really need an "app store," Steam is coming out with non-game purchases in September.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I even don't use w8.
    Apps belong to Android and the best developers will stay over there. Open source for open minds.
    M$ can keep their poor 'attempt' named w8. :thumbdown:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Then why don't more people use Linux like they should?

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    because most games & softwares on the market are designed for either windows or *shudder* mac.

windows is also easy to use even if it's got bsods, dodgy media player, iffy browser etc. I still use it & it's iffy software.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    More?
    I guess Linux based OSes are run on more devices than windows all over the world. People are using 'Linux' without to know it.
    For instance MDL runs on Apache, Samsung TVs have Linux based OS, routers run Linux bases OSes, PVRs also.

Linux is very flexible even because it's open source. And it's a cheap solution for private persons to setup a server and a cheap and customizable solution for manufacturers because it's open source.

Linux based OSes have their place already. The fact that Linux is not very widespread at desktop PCs does not mean it is not used elsewhere...

For instance I run:
    Windows7 and XP (2 M$ OSes)

Router (Linux based OS), Samsung TV (Linux based OS), Samsung phone (Android, Linux based OS), Enigma II mediaserver (Linux based OS / server)..and the MDL team Apache (Linux server).

It's 2:5 here at me. ;):)

Most run windows at home because they are gamers! And Linux is nothing for them...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    As a gamer I've personally found the best option is to dualboot Windows (any version, currently using 8 because it's faster than 7) and a Linux distro (Ubuntu) for me and to install games, if they'e available on Linux and Windows (humble bundle stff mostly) I prefer to run it on Linux because again it's also faster for me.

But yeah you're right, Linux overall does probably dominate.

7. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    why are you telling people what to do?

the people here are not your sheep. they can think for themselves (hopefully), buy from and develop for whoever they want

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Biased much.

9. taziedevil

taziedevil MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    lol just use another operating system for crying out loud. Loving Windows 8 so far. Just for that, i'll promote the app store twice as much. Just for you :)

10. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    They aren't going to gut the desktop they just removed the start button that's all, people are always going to have a desktop so stop worrying.

11. Berny

Berny MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    They just removed the START button you say, but will this ever end? We can't ignore them, if we do they'll soon remove the STOP button as well, and then the machines will be unstoppable.

Do something now, or we'll all be doomed forever, forced to live in work camps where all doors are Windows, with Clippy and the Office Cat berating our poor crafting skills while assembling gold chairs for our evil Ballmer overlord.

12. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Try and get a grip man !, or we will all turn into jabbering wrecks.

13. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    They removed START button - I rejected that OS.

1:0 for me :D

....so I guess you all know how I voted ;)

14. p00ky

p00ky MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I've been using windows 8 since the developer preview, when I first saw it I had my doubts, but after using it for months now I really can't see what all the complaints are about. I don't really use metro as I have no need just like I have never really used the start button. The main reason for the change is to add better touch support, let's face it the start button as it was just simply doesn't work for touch. Now the reply to this will be "but I don't have or want touch support", this maybe so, but it would be odd if Microsoft didn't try to support an input device as wide spread as touch. For tablets & phones it is now ubiquitous & these markets are something Microsoft wishes to conquer. They have clearly stated their intensions of closing the gap between mobile and desktop operating systems giving the user a uniform experience. As far as I have read Microsoft have made no mention of removing the desktop, it will certainly be present on the arm os so I'm at a loss as to where this argument has appeared from. As far as I can tell windows 8 works much the same as windows 7 which works much the same as its predecessors as far as a user experience goes. Sure if you don't like it, don't buy it, its your cash, but the silly unfounded scare stories should stop as they don't appear to have any foundation in reality. If you have any evidence to the contrary I'm all ears, but until you do I suggest keeping stum. Sorry for the long first ever post here on MDL, I appreciate all the good work you guys have done & I follow all of your exploits with interest. Thanks.

15. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm just trying to make a point and asking nicely. If you disagree, feel free to do whatever you think is right.

16. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks.

Yes, the desktop still works in windows 8. Windows 8 is also a pretty good OS. The point is that MS is clearly trying to eventually remove the desktop, labeling it as "legacy" and discouraging its use. If Win Store succeeds, there will be justification for finishing the process.

17. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    What about jailbreaking it and use it the way you like, install apps from any source etc.? Would you use the Windows Store if it wasn't as locked down as it is?

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Why boycott just the store ?
    [​IMG]