Brand new HP 15 laptop win 8 upgrade to win 10 questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by byngo, Nov 27, 2015.

1. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    #1 byngo, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Hi Guys,
    Just ordered a new core i3 HP laptop with 1TB HDD from John Lewis that will ship with windows 8. (8.1 I presume)

I have experience of updating my desktop from win 7 ultimate to win 10 pro which stalled during the windows update method but worked fine from the media creation iso download method. I'm pleased with W10.

I figured on upgrading the new HP lappy as soon as it arrives to W10 via windows update.

Now then, although I'm confident this will work fine and will run fine on such a new machine, I will still be left with the HP bloatware.
    After the upgrade should I then do a clean install of W10?
    Is that just a case of using the media creation tool again and burning a new ISO to DVD? Would that include a format HDD option? I cant remember what options I had when I did the desktop a couple of months ago?
    From what ive read I wont need my product key?
    What about the November update, has that changed anything now for the process?

Any pitfalls I have overlooked in doing this? What would you guys do?

2. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    You have to allow that upgrade to happen after you have gone through the activation process of the 8.xx that is pre-loaded on the laptop. You can do that through WU or with a DVD. After it boots back from the update you have to wait until it shows as "Activated with Digital Entitlement". After that you can either just uninstall the HP bloatware or you can do a clean install from DVD. It will give you an option to wipe the drive or you can let it back up the old install to a folder called Windows.old. your choice. After a clean install it will automatically re-activate as long as it was fully activated already.

The ISO you download now will already contain the November Update. No change in process

3. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    Ok that's great thanks.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Most 8.x laptops are shipped with 8.x Core pre-installed with a oem:Dm bios key, when byngo uses the new 10586 iso to upgrade he will get 10 Home activated by the oem:Dm bioskey. When he uses the 10240 iso he will be getting the digital entitlement activation but when he upgrades 10240 to 10586 it will be activated by the oem:Dm bioskey. So for branded/oem systems 10586 changes things signicifantly for installing/activating. If i'm wright a clean install of 10586 will also use the oem:Dm bioskey to activate.

5. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Seems reasonable but I have not read a report of anyone trying that yet. Would hate to be that one that induced someone to try it and have them report back that it failed.

6. garlic

garlic MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2015
    I have done this successfully.

I found the instructions below (I am unable to send the link). Make sure to use the 10586 USB or DVD.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's what i just said ;)

8. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    Now I'm confused.
    Think I'd come to the conclusion I would let it just upgrade through the win 10 free update notification thing. Probably not bother with a clean install afterwards. Sounds complicated with an oem key and I don't really understand how to summarise in my mind what you've all said now.
    If I needed to, how would I find the different legit versions of the iso?

9. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    in your case, i would let it auto update through WUpdate,
    uninstall all the HP crap that comes with the laptop,
    clean it up manually.

10. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    Yep, I'll go with that. Cheers.

11. Muggaen

Muggaen MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2011
    Whats the best way and tool ( Free :) to use when want uinstall all that crap follow on a new computer..