Brave Browser

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by R29k, Jul 14, 2016.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #1 R29k, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #2 nodnar, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ehlwenn

Ehlwenn MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2016
    Look at the blog (you can find it on the official website) if you need more understanting about the micropayments point.

4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  5. Divu

Divu MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2018
    Offline full instalation exe, exist? (except bravebrowser setup 1.24mb)

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Seems it does not offer IDM integration?

7. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Its the best Chromium browser, but the fingerprinting is pretty severe compared to Tor. I wouldn't run it without disabling hardware ID, WebGL and 3D API's. I also wouldn't run your monitor at native resolution because unlike Tor, Brave does not hide it. Browserleaks.com will tell you much more. The latest releases also prioritize ads/rewards more than fixes, but it is understandable. The "privacy-preserving analytics" part counters idea of preserving privacy...

8. Divu

Divu MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2018
    MowerZippo
    Ok. Done. Thanks.

9. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Those methods of fingerprinting existed for a very long time... Ungoogled Chromium for Windows and Bromite for Android already have functional canvas deception flags. The more I learn about Brave, the more I understand that it is simply a combination of:
    - Ungoogled Chromium (for Windows) / Bromite (for Android) with custom privacy settings and blocking of Google domains (through proxies)
    - Custom built-in "HTTPS Everywhere"-like extension
    - Custom built-in AdBlocker
    - Custom built-in Tor extension
    - Custom built-in Torrent extension
    - Custom built-in advertising technique

All of those features are incomplete compared to Ungoogled Chromium + extensions or actual Tor Browser. For example, Brave's Tor gives away much more information when compared against Tor Browser. Brave simply connects to Tor nodes, but it doesn't prevent provision of users' information like Tor Browser does.

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i pressed like, but i don`t like it a bit; you might as well use google.;)

11. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    It's just a referral number that identifies the browser, not the user. It uses the same referral number for everyone (try it and you'll see), so I personally don't think it's a big deal. But thanks for the heads-up on that.

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    now you are talking just like that good mr Eich; there should be zero tolerance with sneaky habits imho; that led straight to the plagues of m$ telemetry and google.

13. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Yeah, it's how it goes and how it's going to go in the future for other privacy browser startups. They need to make money to keep doing the work. Nobody wants to work for free and they shouldn't. Its stupid, but for a privacy browser, the tactics Brave uses is deceptive and repulsive. I would rather have them say "Pay us $XXX per month or $XXX one time for a life-long product subscription and we will deliver what we promised (keep your info private)", similar to what good VPN providers do. Instead, Brave says "We will give you the privacy" but then go behind your back and take it away.

14. Vineet Garg

Vineet Garg MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2016
    Thanks To All Of You ( especially to @R29k ! )

I would like to share that :

"Brave Browser" is based on the same open-source Chromium code ( by Google ) as a number of other browsers. It's time to try & be brave with "Brave Web Browser" for a number of reasons:

1. A strong promise of privacy & a much more private window i.e. "Private Window With Tor"

2. Strong Ad & Tracking blocker with optional '' Brave Rewards Ads'' which adopts a requesting mode of advertisement rather than bombarding web pages / content, aiming to reward content creators in the real sense.

( You shall like to increase per hour ads viewing from 2 to 5 because the ads are very friendly & payout you for viewing them! Be a little generous awarding / paying them back to your favorite "Brave Verified Content Creator" such as Our Own Platform. )

3. Automatically Upgrading sites to HTTPS wherever possible.

4. Says In-built Torrent & Magnet support ( but did not try on my own.)

5. An in built "WAYBACK MACHINE ( Internet Archiving )" Prompt on " Error 404 : Page Not Found" ( Page taken down)

6. Claims supporting & quick checking some of "Chrome Web Store Extensions / Plugins " but warns against them in a general way.

So,
    A Fast, Secure, Private & All In One Web Browser is waiting for you. Having Problems : Mostly they are with your installed OS!

( Referral download codes & monetary benefits are available for content creators with BRAVE Team! )

IN MY OPINION :

1. One should always keep away from Crypto Wallets, Crypto Currencies, etc.

2. Everyone should keep at least two browsers. The one dedicated for financial activities, should be configured tightly for security with bare minimum Setup, Permissions & Functions.

FIND YOUR TRUTH : Licensing some way related to Mozilla Foundation ( The makers of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. )

Thanks. ...

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

I am sorry..... but have you ever heard the saying: There is no such thing as being a little pregnant?
    In the same way there is no such thing as being a little secure. Tor has for years been known to be a little better, but NOT to be safe.

I have installed, and de-installed Brave three times by now. It just does not cut it....