Bricked motherboard after bios flashing?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by msr, Feb 3, 2010.

1. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Is there anything i can do with a board, that does not post after bad flashing. It is a gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H ver 1.0.

I flashed in dos. The computer turns on, i can hear hard drive start and dvd drive powers up. But it is completely black screen with no posting what so ever. No video output what so ever.

Is there anything i can do to save this motherboard, other than putting in a new bios chip?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Remove the battery for awhile and see ?

Alt. try flash it again? more info in the bios section.

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Bootblock Recovery.

This usually involves putting a copy of the original untouched BIOS on a Floppy or USB-Stick and pressing a certain key or key-combo right after power-on to trigger the built-in flasher.

The exact procedure should be described in detail in the boards manual under 'Recovery Procedures' in the 'BIOS' section.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  5. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    How can i get to qflash if there is no video coming on or post?

Is there some sort of keys i press to get to flash when the screen at boot is totally black?

Thx so far for your advice.

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 Daz, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Looking at the document its FLASHSPI that you're after, then I think its automated based on this:
    I'm not entirely sure though, maybe the boot block method works better I just would have thought there would be a way to trigger your backup BIOS since it's whole purpose is to prevent this situation.

Did you flash from within Windows by the way and if so what utility did you use? I have a Gigabyte motherboard myself and I always flash from the BIOS menu itself.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I flashed with dos awdflash,exe.

The screen is totally black with no posting when i start system, will qflash still work after i boot, and press end then?

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    If none of the methods work and you're not afraid of lifting your bios chip out of it's socket (if it's not soldered to the board) you can try a hotflash.

Then you need to boot from a dos floppy with flash utility on another pc, lift it's bios out while it's running and place your bricked one on that mobo. Flash the bios (use a parameter to force the utility to flash although it's not the right bios for the mobo) and place all chips on the right mobo again.

10. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    My eyesight, is not good enough for soldering(thx anyway). I am just asking if i put the stuff on floppy and there is no screen coming up, will qflash come up, and boot from floppy?

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    There was a way to short out the bios pins to allow the backup bios to kick in..You may only have a virtual bios and need the CD to allow the dual bios function. Either way, use the flash tool that comes with the GB bios, never use a different tool. All GB bios come with a matched flash tool, usually flashspi.exe..

Bootblock recovery is not likely, but support may have some ideas...

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    You should try removing the battery as tcntad suggested. If you can get the Gigabyte BIOS utility to go - usually because of invalid CMOS data - it will restore the original BIOS from the second backup. Does your manual have a way to clear CMOS - later Gigabyte Boards have a button on the rear?

Clearing the CMOS usually works.

13. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thx for all the ideas guys, i will try them today or tomorrow, when i get time.

If the bios flashing does not recover it i will just bin it, as the board does not cost much to replace second hand on ebay.

Thx again, and maybe this thread may be of use to others.