Bricked Studio Laptop 1457 not detecting USB after Bios Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ziera, Feb 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    It started when I was updating the bios in Windows 7 64 bit, got a BSOD, pulled out battery and switched it on again, no video display but it keeps beeping several times. I found several techniques for bios recovery using phlash16.exe, minidos and bios.wph i extracted from the harddrive. It was beeping when i updated the laptop, after 3 mins beeping + usb pendrive blinking, its stops and restart.

It looks promosing except, nothing happens, its just a pure silence, no more beeping, the fan is working, the dvd rom sounds ok, but still no display. This time, the usb no longer works, the power is on, but its not detecting usb devices. So re flashing no longer works.

Is the motherboard or cpu fried? Where can i get new motherboard n cpu online? Its no longer on warranty

Thanks in advanced

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
  3. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi tqhoang, tq for the reply, actually I got the bios from the harddrive of the laptop, I found the files in temp folder in user local settings. But its a 64 bit environment windows 7, initially flashed using winphlash64, could the flashabl.bak and flashabl.rom from the windows 64 bit environment not compatible for Phoneix Crisis Recovery?

What are the options I have here? I cant find any motherboard for this model on sale online, we dont even have a dedicated dell repair centre in Brunei (where im from), everything have to be shipped to Malaysia for repair, but since the warranty has expired, I dont know if thats even possible.

Its not possible to extract - using the command line /writeromfile, i Googled, tried all types of software, and I cant find anyone successfully recovered bios on 1400 studios laptop so far, most of the threads are not answered. Maybe, they gave up, Im giving up.. Maybe Recycle is the only option really.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate. I dont think dell support want to do much with this obsolete antique dell anymore, theres very little info relating to this product on their site.

4. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011

Im relieved to hear that flashabl.rom was ok to use, narrowing the possible causes that lead to this condition. Currently only the usb not detected, they keyboard seemed fine too.

1. I tried all the phlash16 in that folder on your point '1', and tried from other sites as well, I think I tested around 13-19 phlash16 (have no idea if i accidentally uses the same version) none works, so i kept looking until I found phlash16.exe on another post from other site, looking at the property of the phlash16.exe it was dated "Sunday, January 17, 2010, 7:08:32 PM", and was the only one showing reaction (reboot) after bios recovery process.

2. I uploaded the file for your view here www .sendspace .com/ file/ wjthr9 .

Perhaps you are right, to revert back to my previous bios flashabl.bak , but the failure of the laptop to detect usb, making it virtually impossible to recover bios now. I was thinking of using an sd card, but i dont know if it will work. Are there any ways of connecting to ecternal storage in dell studio other than usb (which works for bios recovery), I want to try all possibilities.

Thank you for your help, I'm very grateful, I can only pray for u to be lucky in everything you do, its just amazing how people can be generous to strangers, helping them out, making a difference when ppl are giving up, even the willingness to reply immediately, * dell promises to reply in 2 business days (i think). Thank you. Thank you

5. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Sorry, I somehow missed that you said the USB doesn't light up anymore. Perhaps the boot order has changed. You might need to remove all boot devices (hard drive and CD/DVD).

Also try the different USB ports...namely the ones on the back of your laptop.

6. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    #8 ziera, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    (OP)
    Hi tqhoang , good morning, i just woke up an hour ago. Im currently still working to remove the dvd rom. All my fingers hurt :), its making me realize how weird the design of this laptop is. Just to remove the dvdrom, i have to remove almost everything, and since the video is not available on youtube, it really takes me a while to find out where the screw is located, its like comparing to "to remove a shoe, one has to get naked". This laptop is naked now, yet I still cant remove the dvdrom because I need to remove one screw to get full access to the dvd rom.

Ive attached the snapshot, will update again once I managed to remove this screw. Im a web developer, I used to know so much on hardware, but now no more. It hurts to realize I really dont know everything, and have to rely to the kindness of strangers to help me out. As we speak my fingers are all red and swollen. But ill keep trying.

the picture can be seen here picasaweb.google .com /ziera.eliani

I'll update more on this later, now I need to find the right screw driver.

Thanks again

7. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi Thank you tqhoang, thank you for the link. And for the rom file, its so difficult to get the rom file, i tried every single software but it failed. Having the rom is a step closer to revive this bricked poor laptop. Im encountering a new mysterious problem, the cpu fan is not running after i removed the dvd-rom, its a pure silent, i made sure all cables are connected. I googled, and tried many different procedures, but still no progress. I hope im not in bigger troubles

8. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    I think somethings loose in the laptop, I need to get a 100% screw drivers designed for such task. fate is testing my patience, but i hope ill see light at the end of the tunnel. I dont see much hope now, but lets see after I can disassemble this laptop entirely. Anyone should take note, removing dvd rom from 1450,1457 and 1458 is not easy. For 1457, its tougher since the manual was created for 1458, and lots of things changed since 1457. Patience... Is all we need..

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    ziera - Make sure you don't have any loose connections...especially the make sure that the fan is still plugged in.

Actually I'm shocked that Dell designed this laptop like that. All of the Dell Inspirons, Latitude and Precisions that I've worked with make the DVD drive removable with 1-3 screws at most.

Good luck!

10. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011

dear tqhoang, the fan is still plugged in. However under the mobo, im not sure, because the screw is stripped. My journey to find the screw driver in my tiny town, wasnt successful either. This laptop has force me to begin a new journey, a very interesting chapter in my life. I suppose its for the better. I havent worked with many laptops, so far less than 10, but this is amazingly the most challenging laptop ever. I was so stressed out I ended up shopping some 120 pallete eye shadow on ebay, completing my other 120 pallete, 240 pallete altogether, wow.. i wonder will i ever get the chance to wear all of them. Tomorrow I will go Bandar Seri Begawan, looking for the screw driver. Im hopeless. But thank you for sticking with me. I talked too much, this forum looks like a blog now.

Thanks good hearted stranger

11. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Finally I managed to dismantle the laptop entirely. With regards the stripped screw I had to use a special technique to remove it. I will not do it tonight because I dont want to make mistakes, so its best to do it at day time when im alert. as far as what im seeing i dont see any visible loose connection. I removed the bios battery, ill re insert it tomorrow morning.

i will blog abt this, coz i moght need these info again in the future. ok will update more tomorrow. cheers

12. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Okay, after successfully disassembled the laptop, i remove the bdrom, ram and harddrive, but i didnt see any response. the fan didnt work. So what i did was, burned the phoenix recovery crisis on cdrom, burned it (since usb no longer detected) and used the rom file you provided inside the zip folder. iwas amazed to find all the rom file extracted by you. thank you. i couldnt ve done it without ur help.

so after re connecting the bdrom, and inserted the cd rom, when i click the pwoer button, first the lappy sounds as if it was reading the data from the cdrom, after a few secs it stops, n now the cpu fan is back. hope is still around. but after a while i only see a black screen laptop, no more progress except the fan is now spinning. so my next task is to switch the phlash16 with other version. ill update once i see progress.

thanks again for the help. it helps me. i hope ur doing great in everything you do

13. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    ziera - You might want to investigate clearing the CMOS. Perhaps the corrupt CMOS is screwing things up.

Also how did you make the bootable CD? Did you make it bootable with floppy emulation?

14. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Dear tqhoang, i didnt know its possible to clear laptop cmos, i ll google it asap. Well, nope, i just pasted the files on the cd rom. oh my.. maybe thats why its not updating..

Thank you again.. to see the fan alive is to feel hope.. I can at least breath now

15. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    If you want, I can build you a floppy image file (IMA) or even a bootable CD ISO to use with ImgBurn. I just need to know exactly:
    1. which phlash16.exe you think will work with your laptop
    2. which BIOS version you want to flash (assume the latest would be best)

16. ziera

ziera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    I'd be very grateful if you are willing to do that. This is the link of phlash16 www sendspace com/ file/ thhgrm .

1. can be found www sendspace com/ file/ thhgrm
    2. i think the latest would be the best too.

Thank you for your help. I wish I can do more than just thanking you, i hope i can return the favor one day.

17. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #20 tqhoang, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    ziera - I've made a bootable CD, but it's huge. I forgot that your BIOS is 5MB, so I couldn't make it using an emulated floppy image (max 2.88MB). I had to make a bootable USB stick (smallest I have is 512MB) and then made an image of that into a bootable CD ISO. This ISO file is 486MB and zipped down to 438MB. I'll send you a link as soon as I can get it uploaded somewhere.

UPDATE: I sent you a PM with where you can download the bootable ISO image. Please let me know when you're done downloading.