Bringing back the old Windows Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Stathis, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Stathis

Stathis MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
  2. Sliden

Sliden MDL Junior Member

May 20, 2009
    #2 Sliden, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #3 Shenj, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sliden

Sliden MDL Junior Member

May 20, 2009
    Yes, you're right.
    But the office is available all the time, no changes repeatedly between Metro and Office.
    With some beautiful little added context menus, it suits me.
    If need to find the menu Metro, a single click.
    This is only the first version, there may be improvements?

5. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
  6. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Does that allow pinning to that start menu?
    That is all I really want a start button start menu for.
    start screen does the same as pinning to start menu, i just don't want a full screen for less than a handful of pinned items.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    It is the best of all the solutions so far. Freeware version works perfectly. I was so impressed, I sprung for the pro version. Oddly enough, it doesn't work at all, even though it is the latest version, 4.2.

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Sorry to hear about that Belarathon. Maybe you should contact the maker, its possible they havent ironed it out fully for 8 CP.

9. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thanks. As far as I can tell, both the freeware and pro versions were released on the same day. I contacted the author; I'm sure he'll get it debugged forthwith. :cool:

10. sandman117

sandman117 MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2010

11. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    What gets me about that technet article is that the guy admits the experience is still jarring after MONTHS of using Windows 8. That clearly shows a design flaw. I personally don't mind it much, but I think the average user will have an easier time knowing how to work in Windows 8 if there was a start button in the bottom left AS WELL AS the hot corner.

12. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah Chris,

ask MS how many KM you have to move with mouse if you have a 32" LCD 1920x1080 to "play" with metro crap from various edges of your monitor?
    oh yes i forgot, they say use a touch screen? ok 32" LED touch screen, f**c MS how much money to spend for that just for new metro?????

And dont forget i'm just sitting 4 m distant from the screen, so....
    on top of that i have to be rich and a octopuss monster with hands or fingers 4 meters long??'
    :laie: :laie: :laie: :laie: :laie:

Entire new metro and tiles will be a great success only for tablets and slates, and remember that office cannot be used with fingers tapped on the screen (not productive and usable)

So now how many people will buy windows 8 ???

13. zasso

zasso MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2009
    win8-0.jpg

win-m.jpg

The situation of finding the missing START button is just like a mature women in a liitle boy's arm (DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TURN HER ON)

14. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Oh the life of you regular mouse users. So glad I do not endure your pain. Use either or both of the first two items in my sig and never ever worry about mouse surface area, etc. i just flick my thumb and the mouse pointer just keeps on mooooooovin. :) put thumb back to stop movement. never ever a a full arm movement or full wrist movement, never have to pick of the mouse to continue direction. and a first person shooter necessity.

and laptops, and aio pc's with touchscreen, and older legacy pc's and....

What is this "buy windows" you speak of? :confused::eek:

15. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    heh, the RTM versions on the shop shelves.....

for the other your comments, is just point of view of productivity and usability of the OS:

If you look here and on the msdn blogs and forum it is clear which is the global idea and feedback from who is not using Computers just for sufing the web, chatting.....

Maybe all others, companies, developers, programmers, home users with Office, Photoshop, all gamers...

Remember years ago when Vista was out, tons of people when has buyed a new PC with Vista, has immediatly downgraded to XP, so did my 700 employees company.....

Let see success or flop?

:D:D:D