Browser Support for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chuterix, Jan 6, 2023.

Originally, it runs dir /a /s /b "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\prefs.js" command, which means that prefs.js file will be found in every subfolder of folder "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles".
    If you have changed Mozilla folder to Librewolf, the rule remains the same.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Ah! that explain it. Thank you again for the kind support.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

I'm not that familiar with FF internals, but there must be a setting, an environment variable, whatever that points to the correct location of the profile(s).

Using a fixed path, isn't only a problem for FF derivatives, but also for portable versions (which are very useful for people like me that use a single Mozilla installation AND PROFILE from many OSes in multiple boot). Something that is hard to do with chromium and derivatives (unless you use a patched portable version)

3. It is "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"
    You can also use command line -profile option to set custom profile path.

But it doesn't matter for the script, dir /a /s /b command inside for loop will find all profiles inside AppData\Roaming folder and will set up all of them.
    That is the function of the script.

4. #187 Deleted member 190847, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2023
    Palemoon is good, but it does not support all extensions that are must have for me.
    I do not use portable web browsers at all, but I recommend everybody to give a try my SlimFirefox.
    I use it on every single PC, it works really good especially when you add your favorite extensions (like uBlock Origin or Adguard, Privacy Badger, etc).
    It works so good for me that I no longer need any Firefox clones.

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Please read what I wrote. I use the palemoon LAUNCHER. The sample ini I shared is there to launch Firefox

That was my point, trying to make it more universal, just a suggestion.

Obviously Vivaldi is my main browser, but FF (and most FF based browsers) are invaluable just because they are easy to make portable (self cntained to use a better definition)

Some FF clones have a point just because are based on older FF, so they can use some themes, GUI enhancements that are unavailable on recent FF

But given the portability thing they can coexist w/o any worry of crossed interactions on the common FF profile

6. Deeps_Morgan

Deeps_Morgan MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2020
    thorium.rocks/win7

7. #190 Deleted member 190847, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2023
    Firefox cache to disk could be disabled without disabling RAM cache.
    Generally, Firefox has the most customization options from all browsers on the earth.
    That is the reason why I am using it as my main browser.

I have no experience with portables because I have never needed them.
    But you need also disable AutoUpdates, when using portables. Normally it is done via registry, but in portable you have to find another way.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
    "DisableAppUpdate"=dword:0000001

Firefox clones should not interact with original Firefox in any way, because every clone I know, stores its settings in different location.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #191 acer-5100, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023

I just put the disk cache on RAMdisk,

Yeah, maybe FF has in 2023 almost the same customization possibilities that Opera had in 2003 (w/o the need of a single extension) :D

Perhaps I have yet to see a feature of a current browser that isn't a copy of what was introduced (many years) earlier by Opera, other than the extensions.

Need is a relative concept if applied to things different than breath, eat, sleep...

I remember when 22 years ago people looked at my smartphone, and considered it a geeky thing that they will never "need"

Sometimes the lack of "need" is overlooking the possibilities that a definite solution can bring to the table. Not saying it's your case, but it's a possibility.

Update in my portable browsers works just as in "normal" installations, minus the silent service that updates w/o user consent.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I still don't use any smartphone in 2023. I really don't need it.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

I'm afraid that something that was a marvel, a revolution in the early 2000, once Jobs and the Americans in general went out the stone age, was turned in a mean to provide more power to corporations and governments.

The result is that isn't matter of preference anymore. In many countries you can't LITERALLY live w/o a smartphone, because you need it to pay taxes, access to public services, banking, traveling and so on (don't forget the so called green pass during the pandemic).

Here, a lot of online services, billing and alike are already unusable from a PC (unless you use an android emulator and install the needed apps)

Even this very site is in small step going to the 2 factor authentication, which (as usual) with the excuse of security steals another piece of privacy and freedom.

So while myself as a pioneer of data in mobility (I did my first cellular connection in the early 90's way before the WEB was a thing) in 2023 I use the smartphone in very small doses, I consider your position a respectable preference but not an actual fact (for a large share of people in developed world)

11. alzcoew397

alzcoew397 MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2018
    can anyone post the link for the latest x64 109 chrome???

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
  13. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    There is nothing to "install" just delete the old program folder and unpack the new in its place