BSOD because of RAM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by krneki, Jul 8, 2012.

1. krneki

krneki MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2010
    I have a computer with following specifications:
    MSI A8N Neo4
    Athlon 3200+
    3 GB RAM - 2x1GB CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 and 2x512MB GEIL GE1GB3200 BHDC

The problem is in BSOD for which I assume that they come from RAM, because minidump files point to random causes and NTOSKRNL is the one who always crashes.

I tested ram thoroughly with memtest86+, windows memory diagnostics, hci memtest and gold memory pro. All programs show up errors when all modules of RAM are inserted. Everything is fine when only GEIL RAM is inserted, so obviously CORSAIR causes problems. Memtest86+ once found an error with both sticks, but not when only one present. Same thing goes for HCI memtest. Gold memory pro finds problems with single module and when both modules are inserted at once (but it happened now twice that it didn't detect any errors after BIOS reset, so that's very strange).

Anyway, I tried with several different settings for RAM in BIOS, but without any outcome difference. Perhaps I didn't hit the proper settings, so I'm asking you to help me out with any useful ideas.

Here is BIOS menu for RAM: shrani.si/f/C/Sa/2iMVIO8s/img3443.jpg

2. krneki

krneki MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2010
    Again, with only CORSAIR inserted:
    1 stick - only Gold Memory test finds problems, no matter which stick I use
    2 sticks - Gold Memory and HCI memtest find problems

3. krneki

krneki MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2010
    CPU-z with problematic CORSAIR RAM: shrani.si/f/3e/wx/2NdeLukR/cpu-z.jpg

Voltage was set on 2.65 V all the time, I changed it now to 2.50 and again, no difference.

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    All RAM that I've ever bought has had a lifetime warranty, with the possible exception of RAM that comes with an OEM PC. For the relatively little cost of shipping, I would try to RMA both Corsair. It's important to replace the entire set at the same time - even if your PC doesn't support dual channel (I'm too lazy to look up your MB), it would be better if they replace it with identical (to each other) RAM. Hopefully when you get it back your problem will have disappeared.

I've never been refused RMA for RAM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. griffinforrest

griffinforrest MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2012
    i looked @ your screenshot. how did you come to those settings?...personally i would have all of those settings on auto if i was just starting out with adding dimms. first see if they will work, then add settings/ timings one at a time until desired result. what timings may have worked with original dimms may not work when you are adding dimms. especially when adding dimms of different manufacturer/ size. which i also personally dont like the idea of it, but it can be done. i breifly looked through the test reports of your mainboard. msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_177.pdf on page 21a it shows some mixed sets being used, but it looks like it matters what set/ size was in what slot/ channel for each configuration. as cheap as memory is presently i would just find 2-2gb sets or a 4gb set of the same brand and speed. i would think that doing this would give you less problems and alot greater performance, especially if you are wanting to adjust timings, and what not.