BSOD from MSCONFIG option change

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NEU, Nov 25, 2009.

1. NEU

NEU MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I am assuming you can't boot into safe mode? Can you use the DVD to revert to a restore point that was earlier than the change you made? System restore is one of the tools available on the DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    My advice would be first trying safe-mode dude. If you can get in then reverse what you did with msconfig. If you cannot get in under safe-mode then boot your windows 7 disc and run the recovery tools, preferrably system restore. This is most likely caused by you disableing a service or a startup program that is required for your particular system to run mate. Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NEU

NEU MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    blue screen comes up while booting in safe-mode too. I don't have a windows 7 disc because I ordered windows 7 online and downloaded off the website, but I did have to burn a win7.iso file to a dvd and boot from that to do the clean install, I was thinking of trying to do another clean install and erase everything but I can't find the disc! lol

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That disk is what you need but you can run sys restore using that disk to the last restore point before the crash and that should fix your problem without loosing everything mate.

6. NEU

NEU MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    Well I think I found the problem, and it's unrelated to my original post. The blue screen error report reveals Rimmpx64.sys at the bottom of the report, that sounds like a virus! I did a clean install so everything should have been deleted but the D recovery drive didn't get erased, could it have stayed on there after a fresh operating system? How do I get rid of it?

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, dont get rid of your recovery drive because you need it just in case. I doubt that virus got into your recovery drive mate. It probably just got into drive C like viruses normally do mate.

8. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    If you want to be more relaxed by having a 100% clean installation, delete the partition, re-partition and then format the drive again. For the multi-processor starting up, I read it from other forums and tried a couple of months ago, but found no difference I don't believe M$ would like the starting up process at a slower speed if they can make it faster. No company would like their product to be more inferior than they should be. If they do, there should a reason. I assume the default should be using the max no. of processors already. Mine is purely by common sense.:cool:

9. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #9 jabberwocky, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    you have configured your processor driver to run in an unsupported way .
    Rimmpx64.sys is a driver , (rim device management) not to be confused with
    RIMMPX64.sys (uppercase) that is Malware.
    By enabling maximum number of processors (not supported by all multi processors) you have created a loop whereby you get no correct processor configuration at start up .
    I have not needed to use this function for a long time but you used to be able to do a selective start up .here you can choose not to load this driver . it may be worth a try ,although I would think that a recovery disk (repair) is your safest option.
    also its one thing to cut down on unnessesary start up items to increase boot speeds ,but tampering with system settings is not the way to go .
    windows own configuration does a pretty good job with processor configuration .
    fix your system ,and learn your lesson ....then move on.