BSOD & laptop constantly sounds like its ovr working even when cool PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tamlovescarla, Mar 3, 2011.

1. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi my laptop keeps freezing, shutting down and giving me the Dreaded BSOD and i have no idea why!!

Could any of you PC/Laptop Wizards out there help me?

I have a Dell Studio 1737 running Window 7 Ultimate for about 18 months,
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00 GHz 2 GHz
    3GB RAM
    240GB HD

I also dont know how to upload any of the many minidump files!! :(

Please help,

Thanks in advance :)

2. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    #2 皆さんこんにちはマギです, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    it can be caused by a number of things, most of which will take time on your end to pin-point.

1. If you want to try and figure it out:
    Start > Run > type "Eventvwr.msc" > and look through the reports for errors.

2. You can try booting into repair mode and hope Windows can repair itself:
    Reboot > Press F8 > Select "Repair Your Computer" > Select "Command Prompt" > Enter "SFC /scannow" > let it scan and hopefully Windows can repair itself.

3. Last but not least, if none of that works for you, do a clean install.
    3a. Before doing so, if your Windows is OEM, backup the key/tokens so you don't have to worry about licensing:
    Code:
    Forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/11130-Paymyrent-Token-restore-for-mak-keys-and-retail
    3b. If your Windows is not OEM, then just reinstall with a clean image of Win7.

4. Optionally: get to know "Windows 7 Backup & Restore".
    Code:
    Microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/backup-and-restore.aspx
    i use this frequently, switching from Norton and Acronis. i find Windows 7 Backup more reliable and light because i don't have to install any 3rd party software, and it backs up the hidden partition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The first thing to check when you start getting random BSODs is your RAM. Access the boot menu (hit the F8 key right before the Windows logo shows up), select the memory diagnostics option.

4. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Once you've checked your RAM for errors (and hopefully found none), your next recourse is to try updating the BIOS and drivers.

5. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #5 Enigma256, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Given the circumstances, it is highly unlikely that would accomplish anything.

The key point in this scenario is that the OP has had no problems for 18 months (or else, presumably, the OP would've complained about it earlier!). Assuming that the OP did not leave out critical details (e.g., installing new software or hardware around the time this happened), this is almost certainly a case of something breaking. And driver, firmware, BIOS and/or software updates do not fix things that break. They fix pre-existing bugs, not problems that have suddenly appeared.

So if we are looking at something that broke, the question is, what broke? Hardware or software? If something on the software side broke, you will usually observe strange behavior, or if it's severe enough, a regular userland crash. A kernel-mode crash (BSOD) is rare for a software fault. It's not impossible, and there are some pieces of malware that can cause BSODs, but they are relatively rare. This is why the suggestions in the first response in this thread, post #2, are unlikely to accomplish anything either: that poster's suggestions are all software-oriented and, for the most part, ignores the possibility of a hardware fault.

The available evidence (that this is a new problem and that it is a BSOD) strongly suggests a hardware fault. And the most likely hardware fault is the RAM, which the OP still has not reported back on. If the RAM tests pass, then the OP should look at hints in the BSOD message (i.e., the bug check code and faulting module--both of which, BTW, are often inconsistent and nonsensical if the fault is in RAM, but if the fault is not in RAM, then they should be quite helpful) to get a hint at where the problem is.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Could be dust and overheating.

7. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    Had to deal with one last weak (MBR virus):D
    Starting an OS (have multiboot 2 OS and VHD) resulted in BSOD, even in Safe Mode.

So nothing wrong with just checking with EZimuze_remover or other AV soft!