BSOD when trying to install windows XP on old dell dimension 4600. What to do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mitty2005, Jan 30, 2016.

1. mitty2005

mitty2005 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    Hello guys.
    I am trying to revive an old dell dimension 4600 for my friend. The hard drive died in it a few years back so I am unable to restore from restore partition. I was looking for a restore CD but having a hardest time finding one online.

What I did was create a bootable USB drive with Windows XP sp1 on it and booted from USB. I got the usual copying of the files process then at one point it throws a blue screen of death. I tried with a solid drive connected to SATA and I tried with IDE drive connected to the IDE cable. Same result.

Does anyone know what to look for on this computer and where to fix the BSOD.

Thank you :worthy::worthy:

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Try Windows XP SP3 with S-ATA drivers included.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Dispose of it...

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usb xp always caused issues for me on the 4600.. use a dvd.

5. SSE2

SSE2 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    What BSOD Code for Windows XP Installation that gives you? And the file caused if it shows on screen? Then we will be glad to help you.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jacatone

jacatone MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2010
    I had the same problem with XP so I installed Win 7 Pro instead. Seems to work just fine.

7. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I don't think you can install XP from usb unless you hash the setup file's on the XP image on the usb. something to do with the way xp setup install's ... dose not detect or recognise usb boot it was not an option then. I think there is a way of tricking the usb into thinking it's a cd drive by using bootsect command.
    do not quote me on this as this is just off the top of my head " clean the usb using diskpart make it bootable. < google for instruction's after you have done that use bootsect.exe and use the /nt52 option on your usb drive. Exit. Then copy your XP install media to your usb drive . Then boot your system from USB drive "

Best option would be to make a clean CD XP-SP1 media and use that to boot the system. you will be able to find info here on MDL :)

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ahh it was the ide compatibility mode!
    try that.. its like switching ahci to ide.

i remember now.. the usb issue was hirens, it wouldn't boot back in 2009 on it

9. Magrat

Magrat MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    Two things needed:
    1. Either switch to 'Legacy' for the hard-drive controller or download the Sata drivers from the Dell site, and nLite them in.
    2. If trying to install from USB memory stick the Dells require the NTDETECT.COM replacing with a modified version (Google it) as the original BSODs with a 7B error.

It's taken me days to find out the second. I could install fine from CD but I WANTED to do it from USB!

Have fun!

Magrat.